[1400] [1500] [1600] [1700] [1800] [1900] [2000]

Please note: This article is currently being expanded. Apologies for some duplication and confusion! [HLP]

Pre-Roman: Pre-historic Hungerford (Stone Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age)

100000BC Worked flint (Stone Age tool) found at Folly Farm

10000BC Worked flint(Stone Age tool) found at Undy's Farm

1500 BC Worked flint (Stone Age tool) found just east of St. Saviour's Church

1500BC Spear tip (Bronze Age found in Hungerford Park

43-410 Roman Occupation

873 AD The legend that Hungerford was named after "Hingwar the Dane" when he drowned in the River Kennet at Eddington is wrong. It was Edington in Wiltshire or Somerset!

899 AD King Alfred left Eddington Mill and lands to his wife Alswythe

1066-1087 William I

1086 Domesday Survey

1087-1100 William II

1100-1135 Henry I

1103-18 First written mention of "Hungerford"

1135-1154 Stephen

1147 First written mention of a church at Hungerford

1148 First written mention of a vicar of Hungerford, probably named Ralph

1154-1189 Henry II

1168 Earliest record of the Manor of Hungerford owned by Robert Beaumont 2nd Earl of Leicester

1168 Robert de Beaumont (2nd) died, and his son (Robert de Beaumont ) inherited the manor of Hungerford

1170 Burgesses of Hungerford used a 'common seal'

1173 Hungerford was a farming community and Simon de Montfort supposedly granted a charter giving rights of herbage and pannage in Hungerford Park

1189-1199 Richard I

1190 When Robert de Beaumont (3rd) died in 1190 and his son Robert de Beaumont (4th) inherited the estates.

1199-1216 John

1199 Survey of Savernake Forest mentions leper house at Hungerford

1200 Probable period of new town layout

1203 King John came back home from Portsmouth via Burbage, Marlborough, Marlborough, Hungerford And Newbury

1215 Barons forced King John to sign the Magna Carter

1216-1272 Henry III

1220 A bridge over the River Kennet existed

1222 Henry III spent New Year's Eve in Hungerford

1227 Henry III's 2nd Charter for deforestation of Berkshire 10th May 1227

1232 Priory of St John established on 'Bridge Street' island

1241 Town call a 'borough' for the first time

1248 First mention of a market

1248 Theft by William Turnpeny of Hungerford - escaped to Kintbury

1250 Simon de Montfort was Lord of the Manor

1265 Simon de Montfort was killed at Battle of Evesham

1272-1307 Edward I

1273 Chantry of Blessed Virgin Mary mentioned

1275 'Pons de Hungreford' (at Eddington) mentioned

1275 Two water mills in the town

1275 This is the earliest date of a Hungerford document

1286 Edward I first stayed overnight in Hungerford

1291 There was no written mention of a court until this date

1296 There was a market in Hungerford, the tolls belonging to the Earl of Lancaster

1302 Edward I stopped in the town

1307-1327 Edward II

1313 Robert de Hungerford was appointed bailiff for the Duchy of Lancaster in Berkshire and Wiltshire

1314 The first accounts of Hungerford were presented by Geoffrey de Kyng to the Duchy of Lancaster

1318 "The Great Famine" of England started when 10% of the population died following an outbreak of foot and mouth disease.

1320 Edward II passed through Hungerford

1325 Robert de Hungerford founded the Chantry of Holy Trinity

1327-1377 Edward III

1331 Edward III passed through the town

1332 Robert and Thomas Hoppegras owned today's Hopgrass Farm

1333 The oldest Hungerford seal was "supposed " to be that of John O' Gaunt but this is impossible since he wasn't born until 1340

1336 Records of the Manor of Eddington showed that a windmill was in existence

1340 John of Gaunt born

1340 Thhe earliest mention of a property at 114 High Street

1348-50 The Black Death - 30-60% of population die

1350 Sir Robert de Hungerford died

1351 The manor of Hungerford was in the ownership of Henry, Duke of Lancaster, who married Isabel of Beaumont

1359 John O'Gaunt married Blanche he Duke of Lancaster's daughter

1360 Probable date of the old 'Courte House'

1361 Town Fair mentioned

1361 The Duke of Lancaster died

1362 The Duchy of Lancaster was created

1362 Maud the Duke of Lancaster's heir died

1362 John of Gaunt's wife Blanche inherits Lancastrian estates

1362 John O'Gaunt inherited the dukedom of Lancaster and the earldoms of Leicester, Lincoln and Derby

1362 The oldest Hungerford horn given by John O'Gaunt Horn supposedly to confirm common rights to the people of Hungerford

1377-1399 Richard II

1381 The Duchy of Lancaster's copy of a charter confirming Hungerford people's rights was lost in a fire at John of Gaunt's Savoy Palace in The Strand and the other copy was stolen

1389 Dedeman's (road or track) from the west side of the High Street to the Croft was first mentioned

1393 King Richard II compelled pub landlords to erect signs outside their premises

1399-1413 Henry IV

1399 Hungerford became part of the Crown and Duchy Lands

1406 Dun Mill was first mentioned

1406 The manor of Hungerford was leased by King Henry IV to William Golding a chaplain of North Standen Chapel

1413-1422 Henry V

1420 The first time that the High Street was known by its name

1422-1461 Henry VI

1425 Documents showed that Sir Walter Hungerford was granted land and property in Hungerford

1446 The town and borough of Hungerford were included in the grant of the manor to Sir Walter Lord Hungerford

1446 "Town" and "Borough" mentioned in grant to Lord Hungerford

1449 Construction of 2-bay cruck house (now 85-86 High Street)

1449 Sir Walter Hungerford died

1450 Approximate date of the first Town Hall

1450 Possible date of the first Town Hall?

1457 100 and 101 High Street are believed to be the oldest recorded properties in Hungerford

1457 Chantry of the Blessed Virgin Mary founded by the burgeesees of Hungerford parish

1460-61 Riot in Hungerford

1461-1483 Edward IV

1462 Record of a property at 34 High Street

1464 First mention of The Bear in Charnham Street

1470 Earliest known Rent Roll for Hungerford

1478 Hungerford's first constable is mentioned

1483 Edward V

1483-1485 Richard III

1485-1509 Henry VII

1494 Denne Myll (Dun Mill) mentioned

1495 The Bell Inn in Charnham Street opened for business

1497 The second oldest Hungerford seal was "supposed " to be that of the treasury seal of Edward IV but he died in 1483

1500 First Town Hall probably existed from this date probably in the middle of the High Street

1509-1547 Henry VIII

1513 Shortcroft (road or track) from the east side of the High Street to the Common was first mentioned

1513 Pidden (road or track) from the southside of the High Street to the Salisbury Road was first mentioned

1516 Henry VIII created the Royal Mail

1520 The present Littlecote House was built by Sir George Darrell

1522 Muster Roll for Hungerford

1522 Population of Hungerford estimated to be between 500 and 700 (from Muster Rolls)

1531 Henry V111 recognised as head of the Church of England

1534 The Church of England was founded by Henry VIII

1534 A dendrochronological examination of 2 Bridge Street took place and aged the property as this date

1535 England and Wales were united politically

1537 Bear Inn landlord Robert Braybon gave evidence against highwayman

1537 Records of the innkeepers of The Bear can be traced back to this year

1538 Baptismal records started by Thomas Cromwell

1541 Bear Inn passed to Henry VIII's wives Anne of Cleaves, then Catherine Parr

1543 The Town Hall was described As being ruinous and decayed

1547 Priory of St. John dissolved by Henry VIII

1547-1553 Edward VI

1548 Chantry of Holy Trinity dissolved

1548 Chantry of Blessed Virgin Mary dissolved

1552 Duchy of Lancaster Survey of Hungerford

1553 Lady Jane Gray

1553 Lady Jane Gray was Queen of England for 9 days and was beheaded for treason

1553-1558 Mary I

1553 John Undewes gave The Croft to the people of Hungerford "for the people of Hungerford to sport herein"

1557 The Kings Head at 12-13 Bridge Street opened for business

1558-1603 Elizabeth I

1558 Population of Hungerford was around 600

1558 Thomas Hydden aged 11 was accepted as a scholar of Winchester College

1566 Great Fire of Hungerford started in Bridge Street

1573 The Case of the Missing Charters

1573 Duchy of Lancaster Survey of Hungerford

1573 Second Town Hall built

1574 A property survey on behalf of the Chantry of the Blessed Virgin Mary showed their six properties had been rebuilt following the fire in 1566

1580 The vestry minutes survive from this date

1582 The inhabitants of Hungerford placed on record their ancient customs of Hocktide

1591 Duchy of Lancaster Survey of Hungerford

1592 Queen Elizabeth's coachman Mr Slie died at The Bear and was buried here

1595 Queen Elizabeth I gave Hungerford Park to her favourite…the Earl of Essex

1600's Two fairs and three markets annually

1601 Poor Law Act

1603-1625 James I

1603-04 Plague ("Black Death") epidemic

1605 Guy Fawkes, a dissident Catholic, tried to blow up the Houses of parliament

1606 Duchy of Lancaster Survey of Hungerford

1607 The second Town Hall was built in the middle of the High Street

1617 Debate with Duchy finally settled by Feoffment

1609 The Black Death hit Hungerford for a second time

1612 The Manor of Hungerford was purchased from the Duchy of Lancaster by two local men John Eldred and William Whitmore

1612 John Lucas and a group purchased the Manor of Hungerford from John Eldred and William Whitmore

1613 The Manor of Hungerford was conveyed from John Lucas and his group to William Edgar of Elcot and Anthony Field

1613 William Edgar and Anthony Field transferred the Manor of Hungerford to another group including Sir Francis Knollys, chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster

1617 The Manor of Hungerford was formally granted to 14 local men who became trustees

1625-1649 Charles I

1631 A Catholic tutor was taken before the churchwardens for being an unlicensed teacher of the recusant Curr family

1634 Probable date of the Lucas Horn donated by Jehosophat Lucas who was Constable at the time

1635 Dr. Sheaff founded Free Grammar School

1642-46 First Civil War

1643 First Battle of Newbury

1644 Second Battle of Newbury

1644 Essex and his army spent the night of 10th June in the town, en route to the West Country

1648 Second Civil War

1649 King Charles I was beheaded

1649-1660 Commonwealth

1650 The population of Hungerford was around 1000 people

1654 John Evelyn visited Hungerford

1656 Oliver Cromwell allowed Jews back into England after 400 years

1658 John Savidge was the first recorded bellman (town crier) of Hungerford

1658 Detailed records of the Constables Accounts exist from this date

1660-1685 Charles II

1662 Settlement Act came into existence to prove that a person belonged to a parish in case they required financial assistance

1662 Hearth Tax introduced (repealed 1689)

1666 The Great Fire of London took place

1666 First "Buried in Woollen" Act (all dead people except plague victims and destitutes had to be buried in English woollen shrouds) (repealed 1814)

1667 Coal Tax introduced (to help to pay for the rebuilding of the City of London after the Great Fire of London) (repealed 1889)

1668 Samuel Pepys visited Hungerford and dined at the Bear

1672 Declaration of indulgence passed giving religious freedom to conformists including Roman Catholics

1675 John Boone, a maltster of Wilton House, was found guilty of receiving stolen goods and was "burned in the hand"

1676 Duchy of Lancaster Rent Roll of Hungerford

1676 George Bromham and Dorothy Newman hanged at Combe Gibbet

1685-1688 James II

1686 White Hart mentioned (stood on the site of today's Chapel Court)

1687 New clock bought for "Clock House" in Town Hall for £10. Clockwinder John Tubb

1688 William of Orange met Commissioners of James II at The Bear

1688 The bailiff's staff donated by constable Joseph Butler dates from this year

1688-1702 William & Mary

1689 Hearth Tax repealed

1689 Act of Toleration - Non-conformists were allowed their own places of worship

1689 Electoral registers were introduced

1693 Samuel Chandler a British Non-conformist minister and polemicist pamphleteer known as the 'uncrowned patriarch of Dissent' was born in Hungerford

1696 Window Tax (repealed 1851)

1697 Settlement Act

1702 Fire pump bought for £17

1702-1714 Anne

1702 Interesting account of Hunting in Hungerford

1707 Act of Union: England and Scotland forms Great Britain

1709 Jethro Tull (inventor of the seed drill) moves to Prosperous Farm

1713 Jethro Tull died

1714-1727 George I

1715 Fire in Hungerford mentioned in Constables accounts

1716 The Greyhound at 24 High Street opened

1718 Lime trees planted around the pond in the High Street

1718 A Fire Eater was paid 10/- for a public performance in the Elizabethan Town Hall

1718-1720 First inoculation against smallpox

1722 Thomas Guy opens Guy's Hospital

1726 The Speenhamland to Marlborough Turnpike formed

1727-1760 George II

1727-1788 Thomas Gainsborough – English landscape and portrait painter

1728-1779 James Cook – English voyager. Endeavour, Resolution, and Adventure. Discovered New Zealand 1770

1728 Jews allowed to own land

1729 John Hungerford was the last Hungerford to own the Manor of Hungerford and is buried in Hungerford

1730 First experiments with gas street lighting (see 1801)

1731 Jethro Tull publishes "Horse-hoeing Husbandry"

1733 Gate and rails at southern limits of town

1733 English replaced Latin in official records

1736 Mrs Mary Hungerford donated five pieces of silver to create the church silver

1738 Charles Wesley founded Methodist Church

1739 John Wesley first visit to Hungerford

1740 Bridge Street made

1744 Newbury-Marlborough Turnpike Acts

1746 Glass Tax introduced (repealed 1845)

1750 Tea and coffee houses popular in Britain

1750 Bow Street runners – early "police" force

1751 William Hogarth "Gin Lane", "Beer Street" etc. 1697-1764

1751-1816 Richard Sheridan – British dramatist and MP, writer of comedies.

1752 Reform of the Calendar (Up until this date New Years' Day was celebrated on 25th March)

1753 Hardwick Marriage Act – all (except Jews and Quakers) must marry in Anglican church

1753 The age of consent for boys was 14 and 12 for girls

1757-1827 William Blake – English artist and poet

1757 Militia regiments had to be formed throughout England and Wales

1758-1805 Horatio, Lord Nelson, died on "The Victory"

1760-1820 George III

1761 Robert Snook an infamous highwayman was baptised in Hungerford

1762 Murder of William and Anne Cheyney

1765 First canal opened

1767 Milestones were made compulsory on all turnpike roads

1768 Royal Academy founded

1768 Application of toads used in Hungerford to treat cancer

1770 John Radcliffe opens infirmary in Oxford

1771 The Besselsleigh to Hungerford Turnpike formed

1772 The Hungerford to Leckford Sousley Water Turnpike formed

1775-1851 Joseph Turner – English landscape painter

1776 A brewhouse existed in Everland Road behind the Manor House

1776-1837 John Constable – English landscape painter

1779 First ironbridge built – Abraham Derby

1780 The Crown Inn in Charnham Street in business

1781 Britain lost American colonies after 8 year war

1781 William Greatrakes, the famous Irish author and barrister died at the Bear Inn, on his way from Bristol to London, and was buried in St Lawrence's churchyard

1783 First manned hot-air balloon flight

1784 Brick Tax introduced (repealed 1850)

1786 Third Town Hall built

1788 First meeting to consider Western Canal

1788-1824 Lord Byron – English romantic poet

1792-1822 Percy Bysshe Shelley - poet

1793 Sarah Liddiard was transported to Australia for stealing bills and notes from the Post Office

1794 Hungerford Troop of Berkshire Yeomanry formed

1795-1840 The Regency Period

1795 Speenhamland System (linking poor rate to the cost of bread)

1796 William Jenner performs first vaccination

1798 Western Canal opened to Hungerford

1799 The High Street bridge was built over the canal

1800 Georgian period: age of consent 14 yrs for boys, 12 yrs for girls

1800 Mrs Linnell came to live in Hungerford and practice as a midwife

1801 First Congregational Church built

1801 Act of Union – United Kingdom: Britain with Ireland (until 1920)

1801 General Enclosure Act

1801 Gas street lighting becomes widely used – extracted from coal

1805 Battle of Trafalgar

1805 Pond in High Street filled in

1807 First Slave Trade Act – first attempt to abolish the slave trade

1807 Wesleyan Ebenezer Chapel in Church Street was built

1809 George III's Golden Jubilee, 25th Oct

1810 Kennet and Avon Canal fully opened

1811-1820 The Regency Period

1811 Vaccination in Hungerford: Mr Major and Mr Barker vaccinating

1811 Enclosure Act for Hungerford received Royal Assent 25.5.1811

1813 Large Ordnance Depot built at Picket Field

1814 George Stephenson's first steam locomotive to haul coal from mines

1814 Buried in Woollen Act repealed

1814 National School built

1814-16 New Church of St Lawrence built

1815 3,700 miles of canal in use

1815 Battle of Waterloo. Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon's army. 16,000 died

1816 "Year Without Summer" caused by the eruption of Indonesian volcano, Mount Tambora, the largest volcanic explosion in recorded history. Local crops lost.

1820-1830 George IV

1821 Bare Knuckle Fight on Hungerford Common between Bill Neat & Tom Hickman

1821 Census data records population of Hungerford as 2,025

1822 The Cherry family moved to Denford Park

1825 Local theft by John Giles and George Breadmore - transported to Australia

1827 Bare Knuckle Fight on Hungerford Common between Marten & Gybletts

1827 James Dean, London to Bath coachman, died when his coach was involved in a Collison with a hearse

1827 Eddington Bridge was built

1829 Sir Robert Peal organised civilian police force

1829 The Rocket wins £500 prize for fastest locomotive. Liverpool & Manchester Railway

1830 First bank in Hungerford

1830-1837 William IV

1830 Agricultural "Swing" Riots locally - Gibbons foundry and Tannery damaged

1830 The Hungerford Society of Florists held their annual exhibition of PINKS in the Three Swans Inn

1831 Population of Hungerford was 2283 (census)

1832 Great Reform Bill passed

1833 Slavery finally abolished

1834 Poor Law Amendment Act

1835 Hungerford & Ramsbury Union formed

1834 Tolpuddle martyrs arrested for joining trade union. Transported to Australia

1836 Height of coaching era 200 coaches weekly on Bath Road

1836 The Parish of Hungerford was transferred from the diocese of Salisbury to the diocese of Oxford1836 Workhouse in Charnham Street closed

1836 All paupers at the Hungerford and Ramsbury workhouse at 26 Charnham Street were removed to Lambourn

1836 Hardwicke's Marriage Act of 1754 was replaced by the Marriage Act

1837-1901 Victoria

1837 Turnstiles erected in Little Church Lane

1837 More than 20,500 miles of turnpike roads in use

1837 Registrations of births, marriages and deaths started

1839 Royal Berkshire Hospital opened

1839 New foundry (The Kennet Engineering Works) built by Richard Gibbons opened

1839 The churchwardens and the overseers were taken to court for neglecting the terms of the lease of the poor house at 26 Charnham Street

1839 The General Register Office was set up

1840 Meeting in Hungerford about Emigration to New Zealand

1840 New Congregational Church built in High Street

1841 The Great Western Railway opened the line from London to Bristol

1841 Population of Hungerford was 2323 (census)

1842 Westfield House School established

1842 The coaching era of Hungerford had collapsed after the opening of Brunel's GWR - only two Bath Road coaches per week through Hungerford

1845 Canals virtually extinct

1845 Hungerford Gas Company registered

1845 Glass Tax repealed

1847 Railway opened to Hungerford terminus station

1848 New workhouse opened off Cow Lane

1848 Tithe Award for Hungerford

1848 By now only three coaches weekly on Bath Road

1848 There was a racecourse on Hungerford Common

1850 Brick Tax repealed

1851 Window Tax repealed

1851 Population of Hungerford was 2696 (census)

1851 There were 150 inmates in the Hungerford Workhouse - 6% of the population of Hungerford

1851 The parish of Hungerford included Bagshot, Shalbourne, Eddington, Hungerford Newtown and Prosperous

1852 Grand Cricket Match, England v Hungerford, July

1852 Kennet and Avon Canal bought by GWR

1857 The Principal Probate Office (for wills) was set up

1858 Night School established

1860 A Coal Club was first mentioned, to help people needing assistance with buying coal

1861 The oldest wall box (post box) in Hungerford installed at Charnham House, Charnham Street

1861 Population of Hungerford was 2551 (census)

1862 Railway extended west to Devizes

1862 New Town Hall clock given by William Hall

1862 James Edward Talmage the English chemist, geologist, and one of the religious leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was born in Hungerford

1862 The Land Registry was set up

1863 Little Church Lane turnstile replaced by posts

1864 Primitive Methodist Chapel in Bridge Street built

1864 Police Station in Park Street built

1868 St Saviours Church, Eddington built

1868 Methodist Chapel in Bridge Street was built

1869 Wesleyan Chapel in Charnham Street built

1869 Levi Cottrell's Eddington Iron Works in business

1870 Newtown School Chapel (St Mary's Church, Newtown) built

1870 Hungerford Post Office first connected to the Telegraph system

1871 Population of Hungerford was 2699 (census)

1871 New Town Hall and Corn Exchange built

1872 Autumn Troop Manoeuvres around Hungerford

1874 Railway converted to standard gauge

1876 Murder of two local policemen

1877 Last year canal made a profit

1878 A Bicycle Club was in existence

1879 Restoration of St Lawrences completed

1879 Bullock stampede in Hungerford

1881 Population of Hungerford was 2560 (census)

1881 Heavy snow completely blocked the railway line in Hungerford for a couple of days

1881 A horse drawn carriage crashed in Hungerford and the horses escaped all the way to Newbury

1884 Old Grammar School in Croft closed

1886 Hungerford Town Football club was formed

1887 Rural Sports, 11th April

1887 Queen Victoria's Jubilee, 21st June

1888 Mr Gibbons's boundary dispute with the Town and Manor

1889 Coal Tax repealed

1890 A cycle gymkhana took place on Hungerford Common

1891 Population of Hungerford was 2513 (census)

1891 First steam fire engine "Greenwich"

1892 Party for townspeople of Hungerford to celebrate Sir William Pearce's 31st birthday

1893 First fire station built in Charnham Street

1894 Boundary changes bringing Charnham Street into Hungerford

1894 Charnham Street Floods

1895 North Standen, South Standen, Charnham Street, Leverton and Chilton Foliat were transferred from Wiltshire to Berkshire

1896 Second railway bridge over High Street

1897 Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, 20th June

1899 St John's Mission Hall built

1900 Church House built

1900 Hungerford Town Football club matched were played on land in Marsh Lane

1900 Digging of ponds for the Berkshire Trout Farm began

1901-1910 Edward VII

1901 Church House club formed

1901 A Hungerford Patriotism dinner took place in the Town Hall to honour Hungerford Men who took part in the Boer War

1901 The Hungerford Tribute Medal was awarded to local volunteers who served in the Imperial Yeomanry and the Volunteer Service Company of the Berkshire Regiment

1901 A useful genealogical census of Hungerford was taken

1901 Population of Hungerford was 2363 (census)

1902 The station footbridge and canopy were built

1902 Parsonage Farm in the Croft was owned by the Church Commissioners

1902 Hungerford Camera Club was probably formed in the back of The Church House

1903 Water Works company formed

1903 First 5-hole golf course on Hungerford Common

1904 The Croft used for fairs

1904 A dew pond in front of the Down Gate pub was filled in

1905 Telephone exchange first installed

1906 Water stand pipes were installed at the Bear corner, outside the town hall and at the top of town for water wagons used to dampen down dusty roads

1907 School added to Primitive Methodist Chapel

1907 Berkshire Trout farm opened up for business

1908 The Manor Brewery in Everlands Road became the Hungerford Sanitary Laundry Company

1908 The tall tannery chimney at 1 Charnham Street was felled

1908 Hungerford's first boy scouts group was The St. Lawrence Troop

1908 Formation of Town & Manor Charity, under Charity Commissioners

1909 New Sewerage and Drainage system

1910-1936 George V

1910 Tragic death of Mr Freddie Pratt, June

1910 New motorised fire engine "Dreadnought"

1910 Swimming sports in the canal, 1910 onwards

1910 New 'council' school built in Fairview Road

1910 The National Church of England School at 42 High Street and The Wesleyan School in Church Street closed

1911 George Cottrell's foundry was closed

1911 Messrs Wooldridge of Hungerford Wharf carried out renovations of the vicarage

1912 Visit of King George V to Chilton

1913 Diseased elms in the Croft felled and replaced by Spanish chestnuts

1913 Church Lane adopted by Hungerford Rural District Council

1913 Hungerford's second Boy Scouts group was formed

1913 The Hungerford and District Rifle Club was set up in The Church House

1913 A rifle range, a stopping butt and a shooting hut were set up in the garden of The Church House

1913 Frank Goodhall, The Royal Huntsman, was landlord of the Three Swans hotel

1914 The Lancastrian Tennis club played games in the school field at Hungerford Primary School

1914 Post Office built at 126 High Street

1914-18 First World War

1915 180 Company A.S.C. MT. stationed in Hungerford

1915 The National School building was used as a VAD Hospital

1915 Felix Lloyd Powell who wrote the famous song "Pack up your troubles in your Old Kit Bag" was landlord at 113 High Street (the Plume)

1915 Denzil Ralph Evans the professional footballer who played for Halifax, Bury and Watford was born in Hungerford

1917 Plane crash in Hungerford High Street

1918 Hungerford Bowls Club was formed

1918 The end of First World War in which 77 Hungerford men died

1918 The Berkshire Yeomanry was amalgamated into 101 (Bucks & berks Yeomanry) Battalion, Machine Gun Corps

1918 The Bridge Street "triangle " site is cleared for the siting of a war memorial

1918 Tennis courts at Hungerford Club first used

1918 Henry William Barr set up a sawmill on the Bath Road Site

1919 Peace Celebration Dinner

1919 The Hungerford Guide company was formed

1919 The 1st Hungerford Brownie Pack was formed

1919 Hungerford had a Young Helpers League in which better off children helped poorer and disabled children

1920 Widening of Bridge Street: Dedication of War Memorial

1921 Sports ground opened in The Croft

1921 War Memorial Dedication Service

1921 Hungerford had its own Tug of War Team

1921 Atherton Crescent was built by the council

1921 Frank Goodhall, The Royal Huntsman, was buried in St. Saviour's graveyard

1921 Christopher Hugh Derrick an English author, reviewer, publisher's reader, essayist and lecturer was born in Hungerford

1922 The last mention of the Hungerford Coal club

1924 Motorised fire engine 'John of Gaunt'

1925 The Hungerford Freemason Lodge (in the Town Hall) was consecrated

1925 Stype Grange was sold to Hon. Ronald G Walmsley, the younger brother of the second Baron Marchelle

1925 The O.S. map shows The Barracks close to Highclose Farm

1926 An OS map showed the existence of an isolation hospital at Sanham Green

1926 The Constable of Hungerford ceased to be the coroner for the Hungerford area

1926 The "Story of Hungerford " written by the Rev.Summers and completed by Harold Peake was published by the Town and Manor

1926 The first formal adoption laws gave into operation

1927 Adoption became legal

1927 Still born children were registered

1928 Sale of Inglewood Estate (4,225 acres with many local properties and farms)

1928 Hungerford Park Estate was bought by Alfred George Turner

1928 Fred Ruddle was the first recorded Orangeman of The Town and Manor

1929 The Lord Craven Arms (111 High Street) closed

1929 I.A. Bennett Agricultural engineering business opened on the present Bearwater site

1929 Hungerford Rugby Club formed after a meeting in The Plume of Feathers

1929 The age of consent for boys and girls was 16

1930 Chilton Factory produced a monoplane

1930 The Bell Ale house, 115 High Street, closed

1931 Kennet Engineering Works closed

1932 Charnham Street floods, 16 May

1932 Lytton Strachey, Bloomsbury Group, dies at Ham Spray House, 28 May

1932 The Hungerford Branch of the British Legion formed

1932 The Town Mill at 7 Bridge Street demolished

1933 The Parish Council complained to the Water Work Co.Ltd about the excessive increase in the water rate for the town

1934 The Regent Cinema in Church Way built

1934 Still 78 inmates living at the workhouse in Park Street

1935 Henry Barr built a house and the yard with garages behind 5 High Street

1935 Hungerford's first ambulance was bought from carnival funds

1935 The Bear Hotel advertised itself as "a premier temperance hotel"

1935 Mill Hatch was built on the site of the Town Mill, 7 Bridge Street

1935 The first universal telephone books were published -1 in 20 households had a phone

1936 Edward VIII

1936-1952 George VI

1936 Kennet Engineering Works became Kennet Motor Works

1936 At this time Hungerford had a Territorial company

1936 Tarrants Hill built by the council

1936 Aldbourne, Baydon, Buttermere, Chilton Foliat, Froxfield, Grafton, Great Bedwyn, Ham, Little Bedwyn, Ramsbury, Shalbourne, registration distracts transferred to Marlborough

1937 Church Way built by the council

1938 F.T.G Tremlett the once Commissioner of Police was buried in St.Saviours's cemetery

1939-45 Second World War

1939-45 Westfield House in Parsonage Lane was used as a base for Spanish Republican soldiers

1939 Denford Park was sold to a French Order of Nuns

1939 Hungerford had a Toc H group formed to fight loneliness and hate

1939 Hungerford Cricket club won the Newbury Challenge Cup

1940 Rationing started

1940 Pill Boxes and other defences were built along the canal

1940 The Vickers Armstrong factory was built in Eddington

1941 The people of Hungerford raised £90,000 to help fund HMS Freesia

1941 Cattle grids were first installed at the gates on Hungerford Common

1941 The Chilton Factory switched to making monoplanes to parts for the war effort

1941 Due to the war, no national census was taken

1942 Croft Nursery School opened as a Wartime Nursery

1942 The Home Guard very active in the Hungerford area

1943 Vickers Armstrong Factory in Eddington was closed

1943 Women were allowed to join the Home Guard

1943 Hungerford people raised £1,994 for "Wings for Victory Week" National Savings campaign

1944 General Eisenhower addressed American troops on Common

1944 Small landing craft trained on the canal and on Freemans marsh

1944 Elementary schools became primary schools

1945 The Salisbury Arms, 66 High Street, closed

1945 Honeyfields built by the council

1946 The Camburn Education Trust was set up in Hungerford

1947 A housing scheme to build on the land which now occupies the Memorial Recreational Grounds was rejected

1947 Hungerford Hospital was taken over by The National Health Service

1947 Dr. Robert Kennedy formed a medical practice with Dr. Max Wallis

1948 George VI and Queen Elizabeth passed through Hungerford

1948 "Black Legend" - film about Combe Gibbet made by John Schlesinger

1948 George VI and Queen Elizabeth passed through Hungerford

1949 Records relating to Hungerford were deposited by The Town and Manor in the Berkshire Record Office

1949 The Lady of Lions performed live at a Cricket Club Ball held in The Town Hall

1950 Rationing was abolished

1950 Captain Robert Mansfield of the church Army (Mission Hall) died after 48 years service

1950 The Parish Council were given permission by the Town and Manor to put seats on Hungerford Common

1950 The Parish Council became completely responsible for the upkeep of the War Memorial Recreation grounds

1950 Sarum Way built by Vockins Bros

1951 The canal in Hungerford was closed to through traffic

1951 The Croft Road Bridge was replaced

1952-now Elizabeth II

1952 Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip passed through the town

1952 The first lease of 99 years to Hungerford Cricket Club was agreed by the Charity Commissioners

1952 The Priory was bought by Hungerford Rural District Council

1953 Start of negotiations to form a Cycle Speedway Club

1953 Hungerford Carnival was restarted

1953 Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation, 2 Jun 1953

1954 Denford Park became the New Hall Preparatory School

1954 Joe Davis the world famous snooker and billiards champion gave an exhibition at Hungerford Club

1954 North eastern side of Priory Avenue built by J.Wooldridge and Son

1954 West side of Priory Avenue built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1955 Hungerford Panthers stadium was completed

1955 John Davies became the headmaster of Hungerford Primary School

1956 The Hungerford British Legion Headquarters were built in Chilton Way

1956 Hungerford had a ladies football team

1956 Crush pens were installed at the Inkpen and Bath Road (Hopgrass ) gates

1956 Sidney Bushnell retired as Town Crier ending the 76 years of Bushnell Town Criers

1956 Dodd's Nursery was sold for building the "Polyhomes" (Tarrant's Hill and Orchard Park Close)

1956 Jean Tubb became the only female bellman (town crier) of Hungerford

1957 The Hungerford Wives Group (previously the Hungerford Wives ) was set up

1957 Priory Avenue built by the council

1957 Arthur J Barret, a champion blacksmith lived at Forge Cottage

1957 Oakes Bros the agricultural engineers opened up their purpose built building in Station Road

1958 A series of boxing competitions took place on Hungerford Town Football ground for apprentices and stable lads

1958 Coldharbour Road built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1959 New surgery built in the Croft

1959 Chilton Factory moved to Chilton Way

1959 The doctors surgery at The Manor House was deemed unsafe due to extensive woodworm

1960 Fire destroyed James Mill

1960 It was common belief that only "commoners" could vote at the Town and Manor elections when infact all rate-players including council house tenants could vote

1960 The Commonwealth War Graves Commission was set up and some of their standard gravestones exist in St. Saviour's graveyard

1960 A fire destroyed James Mill in Church Street

1960 The Post Office transferred its counter service to Martins at High Street

1960 Lady Harrison Hughes placed staddlestones and lamp posts close to the Denford Gate on Hungerford Common

1960 The grand house and buildings in Hungerford Park were demolished

1960 The office of the Town and Manor of Hungerford moved to 28 High Street

1961 Liberty of Sanden Fee merged with the Town and Manor of Hungerford

1961 Individually designed houses in Chilton Way were built by a number of local building firms

1961 The Royal Exchange /Downgate had a sign leading down to the toilets which said "Commit No Nuisance "

1961 The Kennet and Avon Canal Trust was set up

1961 The canal froze over for 2 months

1961 Based on census data the population of Hungerford Rural District Council was 9749

1962 The Carnival committee asked the Town and Manor for permission to build a swimming pool

1962 New elm trees were planted on Hungerford Common

1962 Geoffrey Webb author of "The Archers" died when his car was in a collision with a furniture van near Hungerford

1962 Production started at the new James's Mill in Smitham Bridge Road

1962 The Blacksmith's box was made by Robin Tubb

1962 Hungerford's first rock band "The Beatfiends" was formed.

1963 The John of Gaunt Secondary School was opened

1963 The All-age Council school in Fairview Road became the Hungerford County Primary School

1963 Park Way was built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1963 The first Mods and Rockers were part of Hungerford's culture

1963 Rex Chesney was appointed the first headmaster of the John O'Gaunt School

1963 Gene Vincent did a "gig" in Hungerford Town Hall.

1963 John of Gaunt Secondary School opened

1964 Swimming pool opened

1964 Railway station demolished

1964 The railway station buildings in Hungerford were demolished

1964 Hungerford outdoor swimming pool was opened and paid for by public subscription

1964 Fairfields was built for the Council

1964 The Ale Tasters tankards were donated by Dr.Humprey Hope and Clive Norman

1964 A purpose-built dental surgery was built in Church Lane with George Dunbar as the dentist

1965 Hungerford Newtown School closed

1965 The Manor House in the High Street was demolished to make way for a petrol station.

1965 The Croft was registered as a village green under The Commons Registration Act

1965 People could register their common rights by applying for them under the Commons Registration Act

1965 Macklin Close was built

1966 Third railway bridge over High Street

1966 Hungerford Laundry closed and became Lo Heat

1966 The Railway bridge over High Street was replaced

1966 Homefield Wat built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1966 Kennet Court , a block of council flats, was built in Eddington

1966 The toll house at the Halfway was demolished

1966 Hungerford Water Carnivals started

1966 The sewerage works near Dun Mill lock were extended and modified

1967 Albert Parsons, the town's well-known photographer died.

1967 Barclays Bank was opened in Hungerford.

1967 The 1st Hungerford Scouts Group was reformed.

1967 The library in Church Street was opened

1967 Wooldridge's building company closed its business in Hungerford Wharfe

1967 Betts Chemist established at 125 High Street

1967 The management of the Croft was under the Hungerford Town Council

1967 The new Tutti truncheons and poles were made out of ash with copper tops

1967 Denford Park became Norland College

1967 Port Down flats were built by Croft Ltd for the council

1967 Library opened in Church Street

1968 New fire station in Church Street built

1968 The long footbridge over the canal behind the church was renewed by the County Council. This is on the ancient right of way along Stocken Street.

1968 The Bear Hotel was sold at an auction

1968 The properties at 70-73 High Street were redeveloped by Hungerford Rural District Council as part of the Fairfield complex

1969 Hungerford Police come under The Thames Valley Police Force

1969 Orchard Park Close was built by Wilson Homes of Swindon

1969 Hillside Road was built by Wilson Homes of Swindon

1969 Bourne Vale was built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1969 Combe Gibbet was felled for the 5th time

1969 The Chilton Factory became Ottermill Chilton

1969 The house on the canal bridge (131 and 132 High Street) was spilt into two properties

1969 Surnames of children were given on a birth certificate for the first time!

1970 Steam Fairs on the Common in aid of Corn Exchange restoration

1970 Steam Fairs started on the Common in aid of Corn Exchange restoration

1970 St.Saviours's Church in Eddington was closed

1970 A new St. John's Ambulance HQ was opened in Station Road

1970 A proper system of cow identification was introduced on The Common and Freemans Marsh

1970 Hungerford train station ceased to deal with goods traffic

1971 The M4 Motorway was opened up

1971 Hungerford signal box demolished by a train derailment

1971 The Wesleyan Chapel in Charnham Street was demolished

1971 Railway accident demolished signal box

1971 M4 Motorway opened

1972 Work commenced on the Canal Walk development

1972 Hungerford Round Table was formed

1972 Hungerford Antiques Arcade opened up at 27 and 28 High Street

1972 The Regent Cinema in Church Way was closed

1972 The plot of land owned by Chilton Electrics next to the Sun pub was sold to BWM garage

1972 Meadow View Squash Club was built on the former site of the Wesleyan Chapel in Charnham Street

1972 Homefield Way (second section) was built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1972 The farm buildings at Undys far were demolished

1972 The vicarage became a private residence

1972 Inglewood House became a health hydro

1972 The English Congregational Churches merged with The Presbyterian Church to form T he United Reform Church

1973 Hungerford Round Table was formed

1973 Following Dutch elm disease on the Common the replacement of lost trees was started

1973 Old grenades were dredged out of the canal by a bomb disposal unit

1973 Dr Hugh Pihlens joined the medical practice

1973 Canal Walk was built

1974 Local government re-organization: first Mayor of Hungerford

1974 Re-opening of Kennet and Avon Canal to Hungerford

1974 Local government re-organisation took place and Joe Brady was elected as Mayor of Hungerford

1974 The Kennet and Avon Canal to Hungerford was reopened

1974 The canal at Hungerford was opened up again by the volunteers of the Kennet and Avon Canal Trust

1974 The Regent Cinema in Church Way was demolished

1974 Charnham Street public conveniences built

1974 The organisers of the Fayres and Steam Engine Rallies gave a chain of office to the Town and Manor

1974 Town and Manor bought 7 1/4 acres of land from the North Standen Estate of Lord Rootes

1974 The ground floor of Hungerford Club was revamped to create a traditional pub atmosphere

1974 Lancaster Square was built by Newbury District Council

1974 Regent Close was built

1974 Hungerford Town Council was formed

1975 Clarks Gardens was built by Vockins Bros

1975 Chilton Way , the new section was built by Federated Homes

1975 Chantry Mead was built by Federated Homes

1975 Westbrook was built by Federated Homes

1975 Michael William ,the 2nd Baron Morris was buried in St.Saviours's cemetery

1975 The Children's Act allowed adopted adults to gain access to their original birth c certificates

1976 The Bath stone granary building (in Canal Walk) was converted into two separate dwellings.

1976 St.Saviours's Church Eddington was sold by the Church Commissionaires to Melvyn Fraser

1976 York Road was built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1976 DeMontfort Grove was built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1977 Maj.H le Fleming Fairfax Harvey left 23 acres of land (Harvey's Meadow) to the Town and Manor

1977 CHAIN the voluntary organisation was formed

1977 8 new lighter church bells were cast by the Whitechapel Foundry for St. Lawrence's bell tower

1978 New bells hung in St Lawrence's Church

1978 A set of new bells were hung in the bell tower of St Lawrence's Church

1978 Morley Place was built by Trencherwood Estates

1978 Roxtons Sporting Ltd was established at 10 and 11 Bridge Street

1978 The Community of Hungerford Theatre Company (previously The Town Show) was formed

1978 Hungerford Archers (Longbow Club) started

1978 The Town and Manor introduced "Tuttigirls" into the Hocktide celebrations

1979 Hungerford Historical Association was formed

1979 Twinning ceremony with Ligueil took place in France

1979 The Town and Manor introduced the position of "blacksmith" to shoe the colts

1979 Lancaster Close was built by Newbury District Council

1979 Formation of Hungerford Historical Association

1980 Hungerford and Camburn Educational Foundation formed

1980 The Hungerford and Camburn Educational Foundation formed

1980 Twinning ceremony with Ligueil took place in Hungerford

1980 The Centenary Town Criers Competition took place

1981 Hungerford twinned with Ligueil a town in France

1981 Dr Robert Kennedy died aged 66

1981 A new bridge across an arm of the River Dun was dedicated in the memory of Wink Walter

1981 Hungerford twinned with Ligueil

1982 James's mill closed

1982 New pavilion at Hungerford Club built

1982 Combe View was built by J.T.Gibbs and Co.Ltd

1982 The Mayor of Ligueil came to Hungerford to a ceremony in naming a new road "Ligueil Close"

1983 Jack Williams became President of the Old Newburians Association

1983 "The Story of Hungerford" written by Hugh Pihlens was published by Countryside Books

1983 The Home Café in Charnham Street was demolished

1983 The "Rose of Hungerford Canal Boat was officially christened

1984 The Borough Arms changed its name to the Tuttiman

1984 I.A.Bennett Agricultural engineering site was cleared for the Bearwater development

1984 A Wednesday market was reintroduced into the town

1984 Lord Edmund Fermoy Princess Diana's maternal uncle committed suicide in Hungerford

1985 Chilton Factory closed

1985 Work commenced on Bearwater

1985 Pound Piece was built by Trencherwood New Homes Ltd

1985 A trade and industry exhibition was held in the Town Hall to promote businesses development in Hungerford

1985 Freemans Close was built by Trencherwood New Homes Ltd

1985 Wiltshire Close was built by Trencherwood New Homes Ltd

1986 The Rotary Club of Hungerford was set up as a daughter club of Newbury Rotary Club

1986 Somerset Close was built by Trencherwood New Holmes Ltd

1986 Wessex Close was built by Trencherwood New Homes Ltd

1986 John Adhemar Simpson artist and holder of the Distinguish Service Cross was buried in St.Saviours's cemetery

1987 The Hungerford shooting tragedy took place

1987 Hungerford Scouts moved to their new headquarters behind the Croft Hall

1987 There were around 250 gravestones in St. Lawrence's churchyard , today (2020) there are less than 100

1987 The Garden of Remembrance for cremations was founded in St. Saviour's cemetery

1987 Hungerford shooting tragedy

1988-89 Archaelogical Dig at Undy's Farm

1988 The Mission Hall was demolished

1988 An archaeological dig took place at Undy's Farm

1988 Resort Hotels bought the Bear Hotel

1988 The police station was given a complete refurbishment

1988 Following the Hungerford Tragedy the firearms act was amended

1989 The management of the Croft reverted to the Town and Manor of Hungerford

1989 Hungerford Hospital closed

1989 An archaeological dig in Charnham Park found relics linked to both the Stone and Bronze Ages

1989 Crown Mews and Crown Passage was developed

1989 The English professional footballer who plays as a forward for Championship club West Bromwich Albion was born in Hungerford

1990 TV presenter Johnny Morris buried his wife Sybil in the orchard at Hopgrass farm

1990 The Kennet and Avon Canal was fully re-opened after restoration

1990 New roundabout and road from Eddington Bridge to Swindon road was built

1990 St. John's Court was built on the site of the old Mission Hall

1991 Hungerford Primary School buildings were vastly improved

1991 The recording of audio archives from Hungefordians started and placed on the Hungerford Virtual Museum website

1991 A video entitled "Hungerford - a Town for Industry" was made

1991 Hungerford and District Community Arts Festival (HADCAF) set up

1992 Hungerford Town Football club won the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup

1992 A replica of the Lucas Horn was given to the Town and Manor by John Newton

1992 The newest Hungerford horn was donated by John Newton and made by Robin Tubb, the Bellman and Town Crier

1992 The Kennet Way development was started by Trencherwood New Homes Ltd

1992 A number of Croatian refugees were housed in Hungerford Hospital

1993 Paul Lewington took over from his uncle "Bob" as Orangeman on Tutti-Day.

1993 Oral history recordings with local Hungerford residents started

1993 9 Bridge Street had been a barbers for 77 years

1994 Boots the Chemists established at 125 High Street

1994 The old Hungerford Hospital was sold to Trencherwood for building

1995 Ramsbury Drive by Trencherwood New Homes Ltd

1995 Aldbourne Close by Trencherwood New Homes Ltd

1995 Julie Shuttleworth's book Elizabethan Hungerford was published

1996 Day care centre opened up in the grounds of the of the Hungerford Hospital

1996 Hungerford Leisure centre at the John O'Gaunt School was opened up

1996 The Kennet Way housing development was completed

1996 The new Texaco garage with a shop and canopy were built in

1996 The Morley Lunches were established for pensioners by Terry Tracey, Ian Morley and Diane "Diggie" Hall

1996 The Tuesday Club a club for people with disabilities or difficulties was formed

1996 There was a major fire at Eddington House

1997 The Chapel at the workhouse in Park Street was converted into two dwellings

1997 The Tuttiman reverted to its original name -The Borough Arms

1997 The new roundabout on the A4 was made to divert traffic into Charnham Park

1997 The St. John's Ambulance HQ in Station Road was closed

1998 Hungerford Fish Mortality

1998 There was a large fish mortality in Hungerford caused by an algal bloom

1998 Hungerford Hospital demolished

1998 The Kennet Enterprise centre (off Charnham Street) was built

1998 Berkshire Labels relocated to Charnham Park in 1998

1998 The new bridge across the canal above Cobblers Lock was built

1999 Bruce Mayhew elected at Constable of the Town and Manor

1999 Hungerford's first large supermarket built in Everlands Road

1999 New Summerfield and car park built in Everland Road

1999 100 trees were planted on Hungerford Common as a millennium project

1999 Through a National Lottery grant, Hungerford Town Band purchased new instruments

1999 Charnham Street public conveniences were demolished

1999 A report on the 10 closed circuit television cameras were installed in the town was made

1999 Johnny Morris the likeable TV presenter died

1999 The Probus Club was formed

1999 Hungerford Cricket club won the Southern Premier League

1999 Lo Heat in Everland Road was demolished

2008 New library and council office opened in Church Street

2012 Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee

2012 Jubilee Pedestrian bridge built over canal

2015 Queen Elizabeth celebrates being the longest reigning monarch - 9 Sep - 63 yrs, 216 days

2017 Police Station closed

2017 Fire Station in Church Street re-developed as a Tri-force Station

2020 Covid-19 pandemic affects the whole world. Hotels, pubs, restaurants, clubs, and non-food shops all shut for months.

See also:

- Events