Antique Shops - key feature of local trade for decades.
Assembly Room - social venue sifrom c.1788.
Banks - from their start in Hungerford in 1818 to their decline locally.
Barracks at Highclose - a local military focus since the early 18th century.
Bear Hotel - one of the grand coaching inns of England, with records from 1464 (or earlier).
Bell Foundry - casting church bells in the early 17th century.
Berkshire Trout Farm (Dun Mill) - farming trout locally since 1907.
Blacksmiths and Farriers - vital artisans in a rural town on major coaching routes.
Blindhouse - the town lock-up in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Boarden Carriage - a curiously named footpath off Bridge Street.
Bridge Street properties - detailed records of over 25 properties, some back to 1470.
Bridges of Hungerford - links to the many and varied bridges - some with intriguing names.
Buttermarket - key feature of the market place in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Canal - a large section describing the history of the Kennet and Avon Canal.
Chantries - the chantry chapels in St. Lawrence's Church.
Charnham Street properties - detailed records of over 40 properties, some back to the 15th century.
Chilton Factory - the 1959 factory and the earlier history of Chilton and the famous monoplane.
Church Street Properties - records of some of the 50 properties.
Church Way (Dog Hill) - one resident's memory of living there.
Churches - a large section linking to all the past and present churches and chapels in the town.
Cinema - all about the 1934 cinema and how Hungerford residents watched films before it was built.
Clubs and Groups - a large section covering the history of over 50 clubs and groups in the town.
Cockpit - description of Hungerford's cockpit - a popular pastime in the 17th and 18th centuries.
Coffee Houses - the 19th century coffee houses in Hungerford.
Combe - the village and its history.
Combe Gibbet - the prominent landmark near the highest point in southern England.
Common Fields of Hungerford - details and maps showing the 20+ historic common fields around Hungerford.
Common Port Down - all about Hungerford's wonderful common to the east of the town.
Cow Lane (Park Street) - the ancient route from Newbury and some of its buildings.
Croft (Church Croft) - the village green of the original medieval vill of Hungerford.
Croft Hall (formerly Church House) - built on the site of the old Grammar School.
Culver Acre - a medieval property which later became The Three Swans.
Cycle Shops - details of nine cycle shops in the town.
Domesday Manors around Hungerford - transcriptions of the local Domesday entries.
Dye House - key part of the local cloth indistry in the 15th-17th centuries.
Eddington - the historic village north of the river Kennet, its trades, indistries and properties.
Faulknor Square - the origins and properties in this square off Charnham Street.
Fertiliquid / Vickers Armstrong factories - vital local employer during and after the Second World War.
Freeman's Marsh - all about this SSSI area of common land to the west of the town.
Gas Works - the stormy saga of building the gas works, and its history of over 100 years.
Great Estates around the town - the town is surrounded by historical large estates. Find them here.
Great Western Mill, Church Street - a large employer in the town in the mid 20th century - destroyed by fire in 1960
Ham Spray House and The Bloomsbury Group - fascinating insight into their life locally.
Harvey's Meadow - 30 acres of SSSI to the north-east of the town. Part of the Town & Manor estate.
High Street properties - detailed records of over 130 properties, some back to 1470.
Hopgrass Farm - 1,000 years of history of this local estate.
Hospital (Park Street) - the Union workhouse, and other earlier workouses.
Inns & Alehouses - links to over 40 inns, pubs and alehouses, some lost, many still trading.
Iron Foundries - all about the two very important iron foundries in Hungerford, starting in 1824.
Isolation Hospital - where infectious illnesses were treated.
Laundry - The Hungerford Sanitary Laundry Company - a big employer in the early 20th century.
Leper House - our first isolation facility - dating from before 1232.
Leverton - the hamlet near Chilton Foliat, dating from Domesday.
Libraries - from the late Victorian period until now.
Listed Buildings - over 125 listed buildings (three are Grade II*) - a large number for a town of this size.
Mains Sewerage and Drainage Scheme - the major utility works, opened in 1909.
Manor Brewery - Hungerford's largest brewery, built in 1832 (where Tesco supermarket is now).
Manor of Hungerford Engleford - One of Hungerford's several Domesday manors.
Marina - the proposed marina at near Highclose Farm.
Marsh Gate Properties - the varied properties adjacent to Marsh Gate (Freeman's Marsh).
Newtown - the historic hamlet north of Hungerford, originally the Domesday manor of Hidden.
Open-air Swimming Pool - all about this popular venue between 1964-67.
Ordnance Depot at Picket Field, 1813-14 - built to store 106,000 barrels of gunpowder.
Other Historic Fields, Close and Lands - a link to many historic places around the town.
Other Local Farms and Estates - a link to many historic sites around the town.
Other Roads in Hungerford - information on many of Hungerfords roads not having separate entries.
Park Street (previously Cow Lane) - the ancient route from Newbury and some of its buildings.
Pest House - the isolation hospital at Marsh Gate.
Police Station - covering law and order from the early 19th century to now.
Priory (off Priory Road) - The Victorian villa built by the Platt family near historic "Priory" land.
Priory of St. John the Baptist - the medieval priory built on the island in present-day Bridge Street by 1232.
Racecourse - the horse-race course on Hungerford Common.
Railway - an extensive section of the history of the Berks and Hants railway and later events.
River Shalbourne - Hungerford's "secret" river.
Roman Roads - and an outline of the Roman occupation locally.
Sanden Fee - a key part of the town and Manor estate. Land to the south and west of the town.
Schools - links to details of over 40 schools over the past 400 years.
Sewerage and Mains Drainage Scheme - the major utility works, opened in 1909.
Stocken Street - a historic street first mentioned c.1300 but lost by 1600.
Tannery, Charnham Street - key focus of the local leather industry.
Town Halls - large section about Hungerford's four town halls.
Town Pond - vital part of fire-fighting in the upper part of the town.
Trade Directories - primary sources of information about the town from 1790 onwards.
Vicarage - the building adjacent to St. Lawrence's Church.
Vickers Armstrong / Fertiliquid factories - vital local employer during and after the Second World War.
War Memorial - all about the site in Bridge Street, with links to other memorials and the men who died.
War Memorial Recreation Ground - the story behind this special area of the town.
Watermills and Windmills - the powerhouses in the town and the surrounding area.
Waterworks - the installation in 1903 and its expansion since.
Wessex Electricity Company - the introduction of electricity in Hungerford in the 1920s.
Workhouses - the Union workhouse, and other earlier workouses.
Can't find what you want?
Try the Search option (top of screen).
- Extracts from Pevsner "Buildings of England - Berkshire", 1966