You are in [Events] [War Memorial Dedication]
The War Memorial Dedication Service took place on Sunday 24 Apr 1921.
When Hungerford selected a site for its memorial to the 76 men who died in the First World War, it chose well. It was built on the island in Bridge Street which had historically been the site of the old Priory of St John.
The previously narrow and congested entrance to the town along Bridge Street, with the International Stores on its east side, was greatly improved by the demolition of the derelict shop and the widening of the road.
The lease of that site had originally been held since 1678 on a 2000 year peppercorn rent, and it had been purchased in May 1899 by International.
In May 1920 a group of Trustees, including Beard, Alexander, Barker, Wooldridge, Adnams, Platt, Alexander, Gray, Allright, Newhook, Killick and Richens, purchased the land on the east of the narrow Bridge Street from the International Tea Company for £500.
The deeds mention the dwellinghouse and shop, cottage, outbuildings, yard, "Little Chappell Barn" and the land on which "Great Chappell Barn" had earlier stood.
The purpose of buying the land was to widen Bridge Street, and to erect "an Obelisk ... to perpetuate the memory of the men of Hungerford who gave up their lives for King and Country in the Great War, and to inspire patriotism in the present and future generations."
The triangular strip of land between the two branches of the River Dun was landscaped, and a monument of Dolton stone, with a height of nearly seven metres, was erected.
A Service of Dedication was held on 24 Apr 1921, attended by a very large crowd. It seems that the entire population of the town must have attended.
Few of those attending could possibly have heard the words spoken by the Rev. Tom Gray and the dignitaries taking the service. Many of those standing in Bridge Street, some of whom had brought their bicycles, would just have had to watch in silence.
- War Memorial Dedication, 24 Apr 1921. The large crowd assembling outside the Town Hall.