You are in [Places] [Bridge Street Properties] [18-19 Bridge Street]
[-->17 Bridge Street] [-->20 Bridge Street]

Summary:

Earliest information: 1753
Original estate: Hungerford
Common Rights? Yes (18 & 19)
     (18 BS: Frontage 53ft; 4 horses or 8 cows)
     (19 BS (recorded as 20 BS in the T&M Register 1902): Frontage "16ft being width of covered passage"; 2 horses or 4 cows)
Date of current building:
Listed? No

Confusion over 19 & 20 Bridge Street:

There is confusion over the numbering and recording of 19 and 20 Bridge Street in the Town & Manor Register (1902-c1990). Although all the other properties are in the hard-covered book according to their position and numbering along the roads, "20 Bridge Street" is recorded before "19 Bridge Street".

20 Bridge Street is noted to have a frontage of "16ft being width of covered passage" and to be "site of cottage demiolished", whilst "19 Bridge Street" is noted to have a frontage of "about 40ft". A scribe has added "There seems to be a problem here".

Both properties (described as 20 and 19 Bridge Street) were owned by Ann Andrews in 1902.

This article will keep with the modern numbering, with 19 Bridge Street being the cottage demolished in 1938, and subsumed into 18-19 Bridge Street), and 20 Bridge Street being the next northernmost property, adjacent to the John of Gaunt Inn.

Thumbnail History:

Wheyneatt - Burch - Burgess - Barley Mow - Stirland's Garage

Photo Gallery:

p3271088
p3271088 p3271088
bridge_st_05
bridge_st_05 bridge_st_05
barley mow c195...
barley mow c1950 barley mow c1950

- 19, 18 and 17 Bridge Street, Mar 2007

- Bridge Street, c1905

- Barley Mow, c1950

Timeline:

Note: 18 & 19 may be reversed for the dates <1836

18 Bridge Street:

1753-61 (QR) John Wheyneatt for his house, q.r. 4d. [John Wheyneatt had been Constable in 1748].

1764 (Deeds) Joseph Wincott & Moses Burch. [Moses Burch had been Constable 1744]

1774-80 (QR) 18: Moses Burch for house late Wheyneat's, q.r. 4d.

1781 (CL) Moses Birch

1795-1804 (QR) 18: Moses Burch for house late Wheyneat's, q.r. 4d.

1805-1817 (QR) 18: Moses Burch (deleted) William Burgess for house late Wheyneat's, q.r. 4d.

1818-23 (QR) 18: William Burgess for house late Wheyneat's, q.r.4d.

1830 (Pigot) Richard North "Barley Mow", High Street. Note that Bridge Street was still named "High Street" at this time.

1832 (QR) 18: ?Devisees of John Burgess for house late Elizabeth Wallis, q.r.4d.

1836 (Deeds) John Beard the local brewer bought the premises.
1836 (QR) 18: ?John Beard for a house late Burgess, q.r. 4d
1841 (CS) John Beard (50), "Barley Mow Inn"
1844 (Slater Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1844 (Snare Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (Kelly Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (Snare Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (P.O. Dir) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (CL) 18: John Beard (own & occ)
1850 (Slater Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"

1851 (CS) Frederick Pearce (32), landlord (Also Ann Pearce, wife (33) landlady; Elizabeth May (26), House servant; Mary Lambert (20), House servant; George Drew (26), Ostler; John Smith (27), Carter; Isaac Wiltshire (58), Formerly porter; and John Bearce (30) Visitor, Agent.
1854 Billing Directory: Frederick Pearce
1861 (CS) Abel Blake (48), publican Barley Mow
1861 (CL) 18: John Beard (own); Abel Blake & ?. Hidden (occ)
1863 (Dutton & Allen Directory) Abel Blake
1864 (Billings) Frederick Pearce, victualler

1868 (Deeds 20 BS) A Conveyance describes "on the south side by a Messuage or Inn and premises called the Barley Mow, formerly belonging to Moses Burch and afterwards to the said Richard North deceased and now occupied by Abel Blake."

1871 (CS) George Clifford, innkeeper, Barley Mow. The 1871 Census also includes George's wife Emma, her brother Walter Cox, and George and Emma's three children - Sarah
Ann and Mary Catherine (both born in Kensington, Middlesex) and son Arthur Clifford born in Hungerford in 1870. Walter was employed as a carpenter. (See Cox family).
1877 (Kelly) George Clifford, innkeeper, Barley Mow
1881 (CS) George Clifford (45), innkeeper, Barley Mow.
1891 (Kelly) George Clifford, Barley Mow.

Celia Turner adds (2011): "Emma Cox (Walter's sister) married George Clifford from Eddington, Berkshire and they had four children. In 1871 they were running the Barley Mow Inn, Bridge Street, Hungerford and were still there in 1881. By 1891 George, now a widower, was running it with his daughter and son-in-law Kate and Harry Munday.

By 1901 George was living at the Inn now run by his other daughter and son-in-law Sarah and Frank Batt and was employed as a gardener together with Frank's father Amos, also employed as a gardener. Frank also had a hairdressing business next door to the Inn which continued to be owned by the family for many years.

See also: Cox family

1895 (Kelly Directory) Francis Batt, Barley Mow (also hairdresser next door).
1896 (CL) Thomas Edward Hawkins, owner, Barley Mow; Frank Batt occ.
1896 (CL) South Berks Brewery Co (Barley Mow) (own); Frank Batt (occ)
1900 (Cosburn's Dir) F Batt.
1902 (T&M Register) South Berks Brewery Co (owners)
1903 (Kelly) Francis Batt, Barley Mow
1903 (T&M Register) Frank Batt (occupier until 1907)
1908 (T&M Register) Frederick Froude (occupier)
1909 (T&M Register) Thomas William Rumbolds (occupier until ?1913)
1911 (Kelly Directory): Thomas William Rumbolds

1914 (T&M Register) Frederick Charles Little (occupier until ?1915)
1914 (CL) South Berks Brewery Co (Barley Mow) (own); Frederick Charles Little (occ)
1915 (Kelly) Frederick Charles Little, Barley Mow
1916 (T&M Register) Freerick Purdue (occuper until ?1918)

1919 (T&M Register) John Purdue (occupier until ?1922)
1920 (Kelly) John Henry Perdue [lived in 17BS], Barley Mow.
1923 (T&M Register) Alfred Mew (occupier until ?1925)
1926 (T&M Register) Walter Woodard (occupier)
1927 (T&M Register) John Henry Perdue (occupier until ?1931)
1928 (Kelly) John Henry Perdue, Barley Mow
Undated (T&M Register) H & J Simmonds Ltd (owners)
1932 (QR) H.G. Simmonds Ltd of Reading (Barley Mow) for "Alehouse adjoining formerly Burgess later John Beard", q.r. 4d.
1932 (T&M Register) William Albert Perdue (occupier)
1935 (Kelly) John Henry Perdue, Barley Mow
1936 (Kelly) John Perdue, Barley Mow PH


1937 (NWN): July 8: Cars for Hire: Modern Luxury Saloon Cars for Hire. Chauffeur Driven from 4d per mile. Day trips anywhere from 30/-. The Barley Mow - Phone 123.
1939 (Blacket's) "Barley Mow" Inn (W.A. Perdue)
1939 (Kelly) William Albert Perdue, Barley Mow, TN 123 [later moved to "Bleeding Horse", Ramsbury]
1947 (CL) 18: William Albert Perdue [??Barley Mow]

c1950 (Arthur Clifford and Colin Bull) Arthur Clifford snr, and his family moved down to run The Barley Mow when they left The Salisbury Arms, 66 High Street in c1947.
1956 (Jim Davis) Last landlord was Arthur Clifford senior. After Simmonds of Reading, the owners were Courage Breweries.
1956 (CL) 18: Arthur Clifford [??Barley Mow]
1956 (Mrs Evelyn Razey) "Barley Mow" was sold for £1,500. [Note that the bracket for the inn sign still remains in 2009]

1956-58 (Jim Davis) Property lay empty. Bought by Sam Stirland.

1959? (Ken Petter) Dry Cleaners

1963? Conversion of 17,18, and 19 to motor garage – Peter Stirland.

1963-1970 (CL) Peter Stirland (Garage)

<1968 (T&M Register) Samuel Cooper Stirland (owner); Peter Stirland (occupier until 1973)
1976-1983 (CL) 18: Samuel Cooper Stirland (Garage)
1984 (CL) Samuel Cooper Stirland
1985 (CL) Samuel Cooper Stirland
2000 (CL) David Stirland
2005 (CL) David Stirland

2005 Renovations to garage premises – see NWN article in file.

2011 (CL) David Stirland
2016 (CL) David Stirland

19 Bridge Street: (labelled 20 Bridge Street in T&M Register)

1753-61 (QR) John Wheyneatt for his other house, q.r. 4d. [John Wheyneatt had been Constable in 1748]

1764 (Deeds) Joseph Wincott & Moses Burch. [Moses Burch had been Constable 1744]

1774-80 (QR) 18: Moses Burch for house adjoining, q.r. 4d.

1781 (CL) Moses Birch

1795-1804 (QR) 18: Moses Burch for house adjoining, q.r. 4d.

1805-1817 (QR) Moses Burch (deleted) William Burgess for house adjoining, q.r. 4d.

1818-23 (QR) William Burgess for his house adjoining, q.r.4d.

1832 (QR) ?Devisees of John Burgess for house late Elizabeth Wallis, q.r.4d.

1836 (Deeds) John Beard the local brewer bought the premises.
1836 (QR) ?John Beard for the adjoining house, q.r. 4d
1841 (CS) John Beard (50), "Barley Mow Inn"
1844 (Slater Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1844 (Snare Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (Kelly Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (Snare Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (P.O. Dir) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"
1847 (CL) John Beard (own); ..?.. Grainger (occ)
1850 (Slater Directory) John Beard, "Barley Mow Inn"

1851 (CS) Frederick Pearce (32), landlord (Also Ann Pearce, wife (33) landlady; Elizabeth May (26), House servant; Mary Lambert (20), House servant; George Drew (26), Ostler; John Smith (27), Carter; Isaac Wiltshire (58), Formerly porter; and John Bearce (30) Visitor, Agent.
1854 Billing Directory: Frederick Pearce
1861 (CS) Abel Blake (48), publican Barley Mow
1861 (CL) John Beard (own); Henry Kimber (occ
1863 (Dutton & Allen Directory) Abel Blake
1864 (Billings) Frederick Pearce, victualler

1868 (Deeds 20 BS) A Conveyance describes "on the south side by a Messuage or Inn and premises called the Barley Mow, formerly belonging to Moses Burch and afterwards to the said Richard North deceased and now occupied by Abel Blake."

1871 (CS) George Clifford, innkeeper, Barley Mow. The 1871 Census also includes George's wife Emma, her brother Walter Cox, and George and Emma's three children - Sarah
Ann and Mary Catherine (both born in Kensington, Middlesex) and son Arthur Clifford born in Hungerford in 1870. Walter was employed as a carpenter. (See Cox family).
1877 (Kelly) George Clifford, innkeeper, Barley Mow
1881 (CS) George Clifford (45), innkeeper, Barley Mow.
1891 (Kelly) George Clifford, Barley Mow.

Celia Turner adds (2011): "Emma Cox (Walter's sister) married George Clifford from Eddington, Berkshire and they had four children. In 1871 they were running the Barley Mow Inn, Bridge Street, Hungerford and were still there in 1881. By 1891 George, now a widower, was running it with his daughter and son-in-law Kate and Harry Munday.

By 1901 George was living at the Inn now run by his other daughter and son-in-law Sarah and Frank Batt and was employed as a gardener together with Frank's father Amos, also employed as a gardener. Frank also had a hairdressing business next door to the Inn which continued to be owned by the family for many years.

See also: Cox family

1895 (Kelly Directory) Francis Batt, Barley Mow (also hairdresser next door).
1896 (CL) Thomas Edward Hawkins, owner, Barley Mow; Frank Batt occ.
1896 (CL) Anne Andrews (own); Eugenie Kate Andrews (occ)

1902 (T&M register) Ann Andrews (owner)
1903 (T&M Register) Kate Eugenie Andrews (occupier until ?1924)

1914 (CL) Anne Andrews (own); George Andrews (occ)

Undated (T&M Register) Kate Eugenie Andrews (owner)

1926 (T&M register) William Freeman (occupier until ?1933)

1934-38 (T&M Register) Void

1938 (T&M Register) Cottage demolished.
         
(Jim Davis) Small cottage (19BS) one up and one down, demolished to make drive to rear of 18BS.

1963? Conversion of 17,18, and 19 to motor garage – Peter Stirland.

1963-1970 (CL) 19: Void
1976-1983 (CL) 19: Void
1984 (CL) 19: Void
1985 (CL) 19: Void
1000 (CL) 19: Void
2005 (CL) 19: Void
2011 (CL) 19: Void
2016 (CL) 19: Void

See also:

- Cox family

- Advert feature on Stirland's Ford Dealership, 8th Sep 2005