You are in [Places] [Bridge Street Properties] [14 Bridge Street]
[-->Demolished for Canal (East)] [-->15 Bridge Street]

Summary:

Earliest information: 1687
Original estate: Hungerford
Common Rights? Yes (Frontage 38ft; 4 horses or 8 cows; split in 1968 into two - The Limes and Willow Lodge)
Date of current building: 1826
Listed? No

Thumbnail History:

Commoners Rights, quit rent 4d (2d + 2d because two previous dwellings)

1687 Sharpe -> Forty -> Viner -> Platt -> Earl of Mayo -> Burrard -> Berresford-Huey -> Wilson

Description of property:

From Listed Building records: House. Mid 19th century. Slate roof, hipped with 2 flat dormers partly cut into it, wide bracketed eaves, flanking brick chimneys. Rendered walls with stone cill band at 1st floor and slight central break forward. 2 storeys and attic. 3 glazing bar sashes, outer ones en ground floor in slight arched recesses, central 8 panel door in arched recess and radiating fanlight.

Photo Gallery:

p3271085
p3271085 p3271085

- Willow Lodge, 14 Bridge Street, Mar 2007

Timeline:

1687 (Deeds of 15BS) Richard Sharpe

1733 (Deeds of 15BS) William Forty the younger – Constable 1725
1753-61 (QR) William Forty for his house, q.r. 2d.

(QR) ..?.. James for James's house, q.r. 2d.

1766 (Deeds of 15BS) Thomas Viner, victualler, and Ann Sheppard

1774-80 (QR) Christopher Parker for house formerly James's q.r. 2d.

(QR) Christopher Parker for house late Forty (amended to ?Viner late ?Harrison), q.r. 2d.

1781 (CL) Thomas Viner
1795-1804 (QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly James's, q.r. 2d.
(QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly Forty's, q.r. 2d.
1805-17 (QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly James's, q.r. 2d.
(QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly Forty's, q.r. 2d.
1807 (CL) ?Thomas Viner jnr Tho. Buckeridge
1818-23 (QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly James's, q.r. 2d.
(QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly Forty's, q.r. 2d.

1826 (B. Huey) New House completed – in garden remains
- 1. Former house
- 2. 2 Elizabethan cottages
- 3. Privy
The most easterly of the outbuildings was a stable and carries the name Viner at its gable end with the date 1826.
1832 (QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly James's, q.r. 2d.
(QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly Forty's, q.r. 2d.
1836 (QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly James', q.r. 2d.
(QR) Thomas Viner for a house formerly Forty's, q.r. 2d.
1841 (CS) Thomas Viner (61), hopmerchant
1847 (PO Directory) Thomas Viner, Wines, spirit and hop merchant
1847 (CL) Stephen Waldron (own); Thomas Viner (occ)
1847 (B.Huey) Viner's daughter and son-in-law – Waldron c.1847-1900
1851 (CS) Thomas Viner (71), retired hopmerchant

1861 (CL) Stephen Waldron (own); Francis Church (occ)
1861 (CS) Francis Church (40) solicitor.
1871 (CS) Margaret Church (46), widow.

1881 (CS) John Platt, junior (40), brewer, employed 20 men. Constable 1881-1888 (the longest continuous office holder?)
1891 (Kelly) John Platt, junior, brewer/wine merchant, High Street.
1896 (CL) Trustees of S. Waldron (own); John Platt (occ)

1902 (T&M Register) Heir of Stephen Waldron (owner)
1903 (T&M Register) John Platt (occupier until 1905)
1906 (T&M Register) George Edmund Platt (occuoier; void 1907-08)

1909 (T&M Register) The Earl of Mayo (occupier until ?1913)
1914 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Earl of Mayo – E. Cowell-Townshend, occ.
1914 (T&M Register) E Cowell-Townsend (occupier until ?1917)

1918 (T&M Register) Sir Edgar C Boehn(?), Bart (occupier until 1919)

1918 (B. Huey) Major Sir Gerald Burrard (Bart) purchased.
Undated (T&M Register) Sir Gerald Burrard (owner)
1920 (T&M Register) Sir Gerald Burrard (Bart) (occupier)
1920 (Kelly) Major Gerald Burrard, DSO. [E. Cowell-Townshend now in Croft House, The Croft]
1932 (QR) Major Burrard for "House formerly 2 dwellings formerly James afterwards Viners then Stephen Waldron", q.r. 2d.
(QR) Major Burrard for "House formerly 2 dwellings formerly James afterwards Viners then Stephen Waldron", q.r. 2d.
1934 (B. Huey) Extension to house built.
1939 (Blacket's) Major G. Burrard, DSO.
1939 (Kelly) Major Gerald Burrard, DSO – gun expert. [He was a gun and ballistics expert, and wrote the book "The Modern Shotgun". ?First man to divorce and remarry the same woman! Hereditary keeper of Royal Purse. Son committed suicide.]
c.1940 Pill Box built at eastern end of garden by canal and "swing" bridge.
1947 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Sir Gerald Burrard (Bart)
1952 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Sir Gerald Burrard (Bart)
1956 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Sir Gerald Burrard (Bart)
1963 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Sir Gerald Burrard (Bart)
(CL) (The Limes) [No entry?]

1965 (B. Huey) Eustace William Beresford-Huey purchased.
Undated (T&M Register) Eustace Beresford-Huey & Beresford Huey Ltd (owners)
<1968 (T&M Register) Eustace William Beresford-Huey (occupier)
1968 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Eustace Beresford-Huey Void
(CL) (The Limes) James Gilmore
1968 (T&M Register) James Gilmore (occupier of The Limes until 1971)
1970 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Eustace Beresford-Huey Void
(CL) (The Limes) James Gilmore
1972 (T&M Register) Wilfred H W Rust (occupier of The Limes)
1973 (T^+&M Register) Freda Dorothy Chapman (occupier of The Limes until 1982)
1976 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Eustace Beresford-Huey
(CL) (The Limes) Freda Dorothy Chapman (previously married to Beresford-Huey)
1983 (CL) (Willow Lodge) Eustace Beresford-Huey
(CL) (The Limes) Jeffrey Neil Clark
1983 (B. Huey) Architectural interest: Decorative brickwork, architraves in The Limes, original front-door and fanlight, 1810 front door lock (not now in use!), false window in south wall. Front part now called "The Limes", rear part called "Willow Lodge".

1984 (CL) Willow Lodge: Void
1984 (CL) The Limes: Jeffrey Neil Clark
1984 Beresford-Huey died. Sold to Mr Barney & Mrs Jane Wilson. Solicitor from London.
1985 (CL) Willow Lodge: Francis James Wilson
1985 (CL) The Limes: Void
1986/7 Wilsons renovated the old malthouse building, as garage, office, and added a swimming pool and changing-rooms. House refurbished. Front part (The Limes) rented.
1991 House returned to single usage – Wilsons, all "Willow Lodge".
2000 (CL) Francis James Wilson
2005 (CL) Francis James Wilson
2011 (CL) Francis James Wilson
2013 Feb: Barney Wilson died.
2016 (CL) Jane Elizabeth Wilson