You are in [People] [Local Historians] [E L "Jim" Davis]

Eric L Davis, always known as "Jim", loved Hungerford, and loved researching its history.

He was a Commoner of Hungerford, and at various times Overseer of the Port Down and Chairman of the Commons Committee. He held the senior office of Constable in 1970 and 1971.

In the 1970s and 80s he produced several short books on aspects of the local history, including:

- "The Story of an Ancient Fishery", 1978
- "The Great Fight on Hungerford Common", 1987
- "The Bear at Hungerford - The Story of an Ancient Inn", 1989.

He also did much research on the history of Hungerford Port Down, and made some (unpublished) notes. These are now available on line by clicking the link on "A History of Hungerford Port Down, with some Digression into the General History of Hungerford".

Much of the research and findings are to be found on the Virtual Museum under the relevant sections.

See also:

- Bare Knuckle Fight on Hungerford Common, 1821

- Bare Knuckle Fight on Hungerford Common, 1827

- The Bear

- "A History of Hungerford Port Down, with some Digression into the General History of Hungerford", by Jim Davis