Earliest information: c.1575
Original estate: Hungerford Engleford
Common Rights? Yes (Frontage 31ft; 2 horses or 4 cows)
Date of current building: Early 19th century [?17th century at rear, 18th century frontage - LPP]
Listed: Grade II
(NH) One of Hungerford Engleford Manor's estate properties (121HS = The Manor House, other properties in West & East HS, Church St. & Sanden Fee. See 121HS file for details). Commoners' Rights - therefore found in Commoners' lists (NOT found in Quit rent rolls, as rent only paid to Lord of the Manor & therefore not to Town & Borough as well)
One of the Hungerford Engleford properties – owned by the Lord of the Manor, and later by two surgeons and a Bishop. Used as a boarding school, drapers, post office, and last but not least as a grocer for the last 100 years. Recently a wine store -> Kitchenmonger.
Description of property:
From Listed Building records: House, now house and shop. Early 19th century. Slate roof, timber moulded eaves cornice, brick walls with rubbed flat arches to first floor windows. Three storeys. Two glazing bar sashes flanking central blank on second floor. Two casements to left of first floor and glazing bar sash to right. 19th century shop front with projecting timber fascia and cornice over panelled door to alley on left and two slightly bowed bays flanking central 20th century glazed doors with rectangular fanlight and reeded pilasters.
Description of the building :
Grade 2 Listed Building - Terraced house and shop on West side of High Street in Market Place - three storeys plus cellar, outbuildings to rear.
The brick facade is late c18th, with its timber moulded eaves cornice and slate half-hipped roof. The brick wall is in Flemish bond with rubbed flat arches to first floor windows. There are two glazing bar sashes flanking a blank on the second floor and two casements on the left and a glazing bar sash to the right. [No – surely both are glazing bars – HLP]
The shopfront is basically late c19th, although it has been restored; it has a projecting timber fascia and cornice over a panelled door to an alley (on left) and two slightly bowed bays flanking central c20th glazed doors with a rectangular fanlight and reeded pilasters.
The facade masks an older timber - framed structure. The frame was revealed during the restoration of the Courtyard next door (=24 HS). Instead of supporting wattle and daub infilling, as in the earlier buildings, this frame was covered with lathe and plaster. The timber frame is not, therefore, visible inside the house. It probably dates from the c17th.
The back wing, also has some timber framing in the cross walls, but the north wall (facing onto the courtyard) is of brick and flint, arranged in stripes. It may be an C18th refacing. The staircase projects in the angle of the "L" shaped plan of the building, and is c18th.
- Kitchenmonger, 25 High Street, Apr 2011
- 25 High Street, c1876
- Lewington's Coal wagon outside 25 High Street, c1903
- Mary Spackman's last day in the shop, 29 Jun 1990 (John Allen).
- Phil Spackman's last day in the shop, 29 Jun 1990 (John Allen).
- Spackman's shop closed, 29 Jun 1990 (John Allen).
- 25 High Street, Jan 2007
c.1575 (NH) George Bradford (barber). Daughter named Martha. Appears that possibly ran a brothel here, leading to accusation in 1575 that Jane Sherman was "on suspicion of acting as a bawd". [See Hidden – Moral Life of Folk in Tudor Hungerford]
1704 (PR) Thomas Robinson; 3 properties listed consecutively "for house and land 3s 6d, for his Upper House and land 3s 4d and as occupier for the Market House 6d" (? = 25HS)
<1724 (*1) 1743 deed of 25 HS states a previous owner to John Hungerford Esq. as Henry Smith (owner) & John Ball (occupant).
1724 (*1) William Hungerford sold to John Hungerford (son of Walter Hungerford) the "Manor & Lordship of Hungerford".
- (*2) John Hungerford of Lincolns Inn, a Bencher, Counsel for The East India Company & Member of Parliament for Scarborough, of the Cadenham branch of the Hungerford family, probably one of the 3 sons of Sir George Hungerford; JH purchased the Manor of Hungerford Engleford. He died on 8/1/1729, & was buried at Hungerford Church one week later. He left £16,000 and his extensive library went to Kings College, Cambridge, where there is a monument in his memory. A striking memorial tablet (illustrated in Sir Richard Colt Hoare's "Hungerfordiana") was placed in Hungerford Church, but has not survived. A memorial to his manservant, Henry Capps – "Trusty" has survived. He died in 1774, leaving his legacy to the poor of the Parish. In 1782 the £50 legacy was used to re-build the Grammar School.
1729 (*1) John Hungerford leased to Rev. Dr. Thomas Mangay & John Coppinger. John & Mary Hungerford to use during life.
1729 (*1) John Hungerford died. Will: Mangay & Coppinger executors 1/3rd to Mangay, 2/3rds to Provost & "Scollars" of Kings Cambridge
1739 (*1) Mary Hungerford died.
1740 (*1) Kings, Cambridge brought bill in High Court of Chancery against Mangay & Coppinger re the Will. Hon. The Justice Page decreed Freehold estate to be sold.
1742 (*1) Advertised in London Gazette at £2600 ?presumably = sale of Manor & estate, hence the large sum
1743 (*1) Bought by Matthew Loder, surgeon, Thame. £1000 to Rev. Dr. Thomas Mangey (spelling different) of Eling, Middx., Doctor of Divinity. £1600 to John Coppinger, St Clements Danes. [ Mentions, previously purchased by Henry Smith & tenure of John Ball Formerly purchased by John Hungerford Esq., late of Lincoln Inn, Middx.]
1753-61 (QR) No entry for 25HS but to South= Edward Hanson (26HS) and to North = Edward Popham, lower house (24HS)
1762 (*1) Will of Matthew Loder: left his Manor in Hungerford to Sam Smith, his son-in-law (md. to his daughter Frances) & 1763 after Sam's death to Sam's son, Loder Smith.
1771 (*1) Sam Smith, Stroud, Lacock, Wilts. renounced his right of inheritance in favour of his third son, Matthew Loder Smith, surgeon in Hungerford.
1774-80 (QR) No entry for 25HS (nor 24HS) but to South = Edward Duke (26HS) & to North Thomas Watson for The Angel Alehouse (23HS)
1781 (CL) Entry 98 = Thomas Robinson = 25HS ; Edward Duke to S. = 26HS & William Pike to N. = ?24HS
[Note: 1717 Probate PCC will of Thomas Robinson brazier refers to "the copyhold estate wherein I now live". Wife Joan, sons John and Thomas. Son-in-law John Hamblin. Daughter Susannah, dated 1711/12]
[Note: 1742 DCW will Thomas Robinson leaves all freehold land and houses to his daughter Susannah]
[Note: Probate 1804 DCW will Thomas Robinson, mercer. Son Thomas has already had his share of estate. Eldest daughter Mary, also Winifred, Ann and Jane, for whom his freehold and leasehold estates are to be held in trust by John Pearce, gent, and Anthony Woodroffe, gent. Dated 1802.]
[Note: 1828 DCW Admon Ann, leaving Mary, Winifred and Jane]
[Note: 1836 DCW will of Winifred: Mary and Jane still alive. Lands and tenements left to Thomas M(?) elder and younger as tenants in common in trust for his sisters.]
1786 (*7) 3rd Town Hall built outside 24 & 23HS just north of its predecessor outside 26HS in the Market Place
1792 (UB) Under Physic: Matthew Loder Smith - surgeon, but no address. 2 other surgeons listed: Joseph Condell; & Edward Duke = 26HS to S.
1795-04 (QR) Same entries as 1774-80 QR
1796 (BD) Same entry as 1792 UB
1798 (*1) "Mansion House" (=121HS) & estate still including Cottages occupied by Matthew Bance, John Hidden, Richard Challis, William Talmage (1781 CL locates where these are; see 121HS for details); & land purchased by Kennet & Avon Navigation.
1805 (QR) No entry for 25HS (nor 24HS) but to S. Edward Duke = 26HS & to N. Edward Collins =23HS
1807 (CL) Difficult to read names on this section of HS because photocopy of document incomplete! Charles Mogg to N. = 24HS (The Greyhound Inn)
1811 (*8) Misses Robinson (occupants); Thomas Robinson copyhold interest on 25HS.
1818 (*1) M.L. Smith & wife Lucy sold to John Hunt Watts, Ham Esq. for £5450. Estate includes cottages occupied by Dean Hatter, Mary Shepherd (widow), Maria Bance (widow), Henry Clements, ..... Martin, John Chuswick and John Leader (labourers), Misses Robinson, Browns Yard, "Bartons" or Close.
1818 (QR) Same entry as 1805 QR but Rev. Edward Duke (26HS)
1819 (EA) Plot 17 = Robinson (=25HS) (Duke to S.=26HS; Neale to N.)
1819 (*8) Misses Robinson (same as 1811)
1822 (*1) George Goddard, draper, Speenhamland, leased 25HS for 5/= p.a.
1827 (*1) George Goddard & John Westall (draper, Hungerford) lease to Eliza Westall for 1year
1827 (*1) Eliza Westall, Dover paid £800 for lease to George Goddard, draper, Speenhamland & to John Westall, draper, Hungerford.
1832 (QR) Same as 1818 QR
1841 (CS) John Hives (35) schoolmaster (Follow this link for more on John Hives school)
1842 (*8) Misses Robinson lived in 25HS until the death of the last sister in about 1842.
1843 (CL) Miss Robinson deleted; John Ives (presumably Hives) substituted.
1847 (KD) John Hives - Gents. Boarding School , HS James Bodman, draper & clothier, HS
1847 (CL) Misses Westall (owner), John Hives (occ)
1848 (*1) Eliza Westall leased to James Bodman, linen draper, 7 years @ £40 pa. Mentions John Hives before & John Westall before that.
1850 (SD) John Hives - Master of Endowed Grammar School, Church Cross (= The Croft); James Bodman - linen draper, haberdasher, hatter, HS also listed Esther Bodman, milleners & dressmakers, HS
1851 (CS) James Bodman (47), linen draper.
1854 (BD) James Bodman - linen & woollen drapers, haberdasher, hosier, HS (no entry for Esther Bodman nor John Hives).By 1871 CS James Bodman in 112HS.
Post Office, c1861-c1885:
1857 (*1) The Bishop of Manchester, The Rt. Rev. Thomas Grant, Doctor of Divinity, Catholic Bishop St. George's Catholic Church, Southwark leased to Mr. Charles Osmond for £34 pa.
1861 (CL) Bishop of Manchester (owner), Charles Osmond (occ)
1861 (CS) Charles Osmond (43) Postmaster, Post Office
(*3) Charles Osmond 1846 - 1879 Postmaster, Hungerford
(*4) 18th century P.O. in Charnham St., by early 19th century P.O. in HS but ?site by 1857 P.O. at 25 HS til 1890s; by 1896 P.O. at 14 HS; 1914 moved to purpose-built Post Office at 126 HS; 1990 Post Office Counters moved to Martins, 6 HS.
1862 (*1) Bishop Manchester sold to Charles Osmond for £650
1864 (BD) Charles Osmond, Postmaster, HS. Also newsagent, agent for Norwich Union Fire & Life, & Norfolk Farmers' Cattle Insurance Society.
1871 (CS) Charles Osmond, Postmaster
1881 (CS) Charles Osmond (job illegible), (CS) Charles Woolston & James Shaw, Postal clerks.
1886 (*6) Charles Osmond "formerly Postmaster H/F" bought The Plume, 113 High Street from The Dean & Canons of Windsor; in 1889 C.O. sold The Plume to his son, Charles Alexander Osmond who sold it in 1891.
1890 (*1) Charles Osmond died, aged 72. Will made 1889, left estate to his wife Ann for the term of her natural life.
1896 (CL) Trustees of Charles Osmond (owners), Charles Alexander Osmond (occ).
1901 (*1) Ann Osmond died.
London & Provincial Stores, c1896-02:
c1901 (*9) Photograph of 25HS (in Photo Gallery) with "London Provincial Stores" sign over doorway. It seems that for a short time Thomas Killick may have used the premises as the London & Provincial Stores when the Post office closed, and before it was bought by Ernest Barnard, and then by Edward Gingell, when the shop opened in Gingell's name.
1902 (*1) Trustees of Charles Osmond's Will (Thomas Homer Killick, grocer & George Taylor, Solicitor's Clerk) sold by auction to Ernest Barnard, Gentleman, Holly Mount , Kintbury for £700 at The Bear Hotel (see Sale Particulars, 22 Jan 1902, and of Conveyance, 25 Mar 1902)
Known as the "Old Post Office", centre of Market Place, double fronted shop, backing on Back Church Street, brick built, slate & tiled roof, cellar, 2 conveniences, coal & wood house, ash pen, cow house, fodder house, open shed, brick & thatch 2- stall stable, brick manure pit, thatched coach house abutting onto Back Church St.,side passage from Market Place to large courtyard, partly paved & gravelled, pump & sink conservatory & shrubbery. Quit rent of 4d. Plus 3 cottages & gardens Newtown. "formerly" occupied by Charles Osmond "and now" by Edward Samuel Gingell & Mrs. Jane Radbourne. To N.(24 HS) - George Wren; To S.(26/27 HS) - Tom Alexander; 3 Newtown Cottages sold under separate lots (see bill of sale)
Gingell's grocers, 1902-1949:
1902 (*1) Ernest Barnard sold to Edward Gingell, from Wiltshire, for £800. See Conveyance, 23 Jun 1902.
1903 (T&M Register) Edward Samuel Gingell (owner, & occupier until 1942)
1903 (KD) No entry for Gingell; Ernest Barnard - house furnisher, HS (?122HS) London Provincial Stores, grocers, High Street.
1911 (KD) Edward Samuel Gingell, grocer, HS.
1914 (CL) Edward Samuel Gingell.
- (*5) Gingells children: Percy, Winifred (married Mr Mark Pennock-Purvis & lived in 31 HS) & Kenneth. Geoffrey Gingell of Sidmouth (son of Kenneth), emailed Feb 2011 to say that there was a 4th child - Wilfred Gingell.
1914-18 (*10) Business closed whilst ESG off to war
1920 (KD) E S Gingell, grocer
1932 (QR) Mr Gingell "House late the Misses Westall".
1939 (KD) E S Gingell Ltd., Grocers, HS, TN 25
1939 (Blacket's) E S Gingell, grocer; advert: "Family Grocers & Provision Mrchts., Market Place. Best Home Cured & Danish Bacon, Agts. for the famous G.P. Teas. All best Standard Groceries stocked." E.S.G. a Trustee of The Town & Manor (at least from 1902 as seen picture of the Constable & Trustees of 1902).
1939/42 (CL) Mr. Gingell, house late the Misses Westall.
1942 (*1) Edward Gingell died.
1943 (T&M Register) Executors of Edward Gingell (owners); Mrs Beatrice Annie Gingell (occupier until 1947)
1947 (CL) Beatrice Annie Gingell, grocer. (Geoffrey Gingell kindly adds (May 2016) that she died 8 Jun 1947).
Spackman's grocers, 1949-1990:
1949 (*1) Mrs. Gingell sold to Mr. Charles Ivan Spackman & Edwin Philip Spackman (brothers, from Newbury). Started trading 5.11.1949, when there were eight other grocers in the town! [Phil Spackman, born 23.7.1924, Spitfire pilot in WWII. Business gradually moved from general grocer to delicatessen]
1952 (CL) Charles Ivan Spackman
1957 (*1) Charles Ivan Spackman -> to Edwin Philip Spackman
1956 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman (Grocer)
1963 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman (Grocer)
1968 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman (Grocer)
1968 (T&M Register) Edwin Philip Spackman & Mary Lucretia Spackman (owners); Edwin Spackman (occupier)
1970 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman (Grocer)
1976 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman (Grocer)
1978 (*10) Started to sell china and glass.
1983 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman (Grocer)
1984 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman
1984 Spackmans moved from flat above the shop to a new house, Prospect House, built on rear of 31HS with access to Prospect Road.
1985 (CL) Edwin Philip Spackman
1987 (*10) Charles Ivan Spackman died.
1989 Philip & Mary Spackman sold their high class grocer, wine & spirits, glass & china business. Mary Spackman JP, nee Bullen.
June 1990 Spackman's closed. See "Spackman's will close, but stay in the family", and "Landmarks hide secret past", NWN 15 Mar 1990.
1991-92 Interior and exterior renovations. Shop un-used. Door at south end titled "Spackman House".
Windrush Wines, 1994-1996:
1994 Windrush Wines. See Advert, Oct 1995. Closed 1996.
1996 Re-opened a few months later as "Spackmans" (partners were Johnny Maurice, Mita Bhatt and Claud Munro. Ashley Dunbar was shop manager. See "Customers flock to re-opened shop", NWN 12 Sep 1996. Closed 1998
20.12.1998 Phil Spackman died [past Constable and Trustee of Town & Manor].
Wine Rack, 1999-2009:
1999 Wine Rack wine store.
2000 (CL) Void
2005 (CL) Void
11.4.2008 Mary Spackman died.
2.12.2009 Wine Rack closed. Parent company First Quench in administration. See NWN Report "As one bottle closes, another's uncorked", 19 Nov 2009
2011 Mar: Kitchenmonger opened - moved from 8 High Street.
2011 (CL) Void
2016 (CL) Louise Mackenny
Key to reference sources:
*1 = Deeds of 25 High Street
*2 = Information from "Is name your Hungerford?" by E.L. Davis
*3 = Postmasters of Hungerford, P.O. Archives, St. Martins - Le - Grand, London
*4 = Information from Dr. L. Pihlens' notes on P.O.'s in Hungerford
*5 = Misses Gwen & Margaret Nicol
*6 = Deeds of 113 High Street
*8 = Mr. Norman Hidden
*9 = Mr. Philip Walter, 17 Fairfields, Hungerford - photogragh 25HS as L.P.S.
*10= Mr. Phil Spackman
BD = Billing's Directory
CS = Census
DCW = Dean and Cannons of Windsor
KD = Kelly's Directory
QR = Quit Rent Roll
UB = Universal British Directory
Further notes from Norman Hidden Papers:
The original abode on the site of the presentday No. 25 High Street belonged to the manor of Hungerford Engleford (variant spellings of this name include Ingleford, Inglefol, Englefield. The Victoria County History of Berkshire uses the form Engleford, and I think you are wise to maintain this as a standard form for normal reference purposes).
The manor of Hungerford Engleford existed with its own rights long before the trust which set up the Borough and Manor, finalised in 1617. Being an entirely separate manor (in the same way as the manor of Hidden was or the manor of Charlton / Hopgrass) they paid their own quit rent to their own lord and not to the Town and Borough of Hungerford. Where they differed from Hidden and Charleton /Hopgrass was that they seem to have possessed Commoners' rights as townsmen. It follows that Hungerford Engleford properties do not appear on town quit rent rolls, but their residents do appear in Commoners' lists. (Rules about who were or might be Commoners seem to have changed at different times in the town's history!).
The manor house or capital mansion of the manor of Hungerford Engleford was from earliest times of which we have record (i.e. 1470) located on the site of the present No. 121 High Street. It remained as the manor house until the manor was virtually extinguished in the early 19th century, and continued to be known locally as the manor house until it was taken over by the South Berkshire Brewery Company. There can be no question therefore of No. 25 High Street having been the manor house.
The speculation in your print out of No. 25 may have arisen (item 1798) from a reference in an earlier sale of the entire manor, proving the vendor's title to the various properties which comprised the estate and including the manor house (i.e. No. 121).
The manor of Hungerford Engleford consisted of various proerties. These included houses on both the east and west sides of the High Street, as well as in Church Street and lands in Sanden Fee. It did not possess land or property in "Newtown", since the latter was part of the manor of Hidden, and no such property in "Newtown" could have been sold as part of the manor of Hungerford Enleford (item 1798).
During the 19th century manorial rights tended to disappear, due particularly to the Enclosure Awards, but the break up of the manorial system had been in evidence from the mid 17th century when manorial lords were sometimes forced by debt to dispose either of single items of their property by means of long leases virtually equivalent to freehold (e.g. 999 years) or long-lease a bloc of property (according to their financial needs) or in desperate cases to sell off the manor itself.
This happened with Hungerford Engleford and it did also with Hidden. It is quite likely therefore that individual plots or cottages in Hidden were sold especially in the mid or late 19th century by individual owners and that three such cottages could have been purchased by Mr. Osmond and then sold, along with his other properties, in 1902. Sorry to take so long and risk labouring a point, but it may save you a wild goose chase!
With reference to the names of Hungerford Engleford occupants in item 1798, all of whom would have Commoners' rights, but none of whom would appear in the town quit rent rolls. If you consult the Commoners' lists for 1781 you will see the name of Matthew Bance (no. 52) in a position that corresponds to 119 High Street; John Hidden (No. 3 – not to be confused with another John Hidden No.79) who occupied a building or part of a building which must have been on the corner of High Street West and Church Street. I have begun to wonder whether this John Hidden, together with Nos. 1 and 2 in the 1781 CL may in fact have been at the back of the High Street corner property and thus in Church Street where the manor of Hungerford Engleford held some sites.
Richard Challis No. 69 is located in the 1781 CL on the east side of the High Street at a point approximate to Nos. 94-96 (pinpointing the numbering is difficult here). There were two or three Hungerford Engleford cottages about here. Finally Edward Talmadge No. 46, who died 1794, was the father of William Talmadge. The 1781 CL has Edward Talmadge located at one or other of the houses now 124-127 High Street (again difficult to pinpoint exactly), and here also were Hungerford Engleford properties.
I suspect that in the sale of 1818 these same buildings recur, though some of the occupants have changed.
A Thomas Robinson had a copyhold interest in the house (No. 25) in which the Misses Robinson lived (1811, 1819). I think these were Mary-Jane, Ann and Winifred, daughters of Thomas Robinson. As he had a son also called Thomas there is a little uncertainty as to their relationship with the copyholder, which I have not time to sort out.
Re the Loder, Toder, Loader references: the family name is correctly Loder.
I cannot at present identify Henry Smith and John Ball, mainly because there are so many Smiths and Balls!
Nor can I explain why No. 24 does not appears on the QR Rolls. My impression is that there was a building here pre-1617 which did pay quit rent to the town. There is no evidence of the preoperty belonging to the manor of Hungerford Engleford, nor to the Parsonage (Dean & Canons of Windsor). So what happened? Strange.
Further notes made by Hugh Pihlens on Phil Spackman's deeds during the 1970s:
The Manor and "Mansion House" refer to 121 HS not 25 HS. Spackmans (25HS was one of the Hungerford Engleford Estate properties.
24.5.1729 John Hungerford's will: Mangay and Copppinger executors. One third to Mangay; two thirds to Provost and scholars of King's College Cambridge.
5.6.1729 John Hungerford, son of Walter Hungerford, leased to Mangay and Coppinger the "Manor or Lordship of Hungerford" (bought 1724 from William Hungerford).
John Hungerford ?sold ti Mangay and Coppinger [but John and wife Mary to use during their lives]
8.6.1729 John Hungerford died.
2.2.1739 Mary Hungerford died.
May 1740 King's Cambridge brought Bill in High Court of Chancery against T.M. and J.C. re the will.
16.7.1740 Hon. Justice Page decreed freehold estate to be sold.
14.7.1742 Advertised in London Gazette at £2,600.
19.11.1743 Bought by Thomas Knight, goldsmith at Breadstreet, London. £1,000 paid to Mangay; £1,600 paid to Coppinger. Leased in trust to Matthew Loder, surgeon of Thame.
Rev'd Dr Thomas Manay, Eling, Middlesex, Doctor of Divinity.
John Coppinger, St. Clement Danes.
Previous purchased by Henry Smith, tenure of John Ball, formerly purchased by John Hungerford, Esq.
31.5.1762 & 31.11.1763: Will of Matthew Loder "late of Lincoln's Inn, Middlesex", left to Sam. Smith (husband of daughter, Frances) his manor in Hungerford, to go after Sam's death to Sam's son Loder Smith.
1771 Sam Smith renounced his right to this in favour of his son Matthew Loder Smith, surgeon in Hungerford.
5.7.1774 Samuel Smith of Stroud, Lacock, Wilts., named in will of Matthew Loder Smith.
16/17.9.1774 Matthew Loder Smith was third son of Sam Smith, of Stroud, Leacock, Wilts., grandson of Matthew Loder.
1.10.1798 John Hunt Watts paid 5/= to Matthew Loder Smith, Surgeon, for [now 21 HS], with to north (= 20HS) James Shipton, and to south (=22 HS) Matthew Loder Smith.
7.10.1798 "Mansion House" and estate still including cottages occupied by Matthew Bance, John Hidden, Richard Challis and William Talmage, and land purchased by Kennet and Avon Navigation Company.
7.10.1798 Matthew Loder Smith paid £1,200 to estates of Stephen Pearce, deceased 1782, and Seymour Mundy, deceased.
1811 Matthew Loder Smith sold [??21 HS] to John Pearce [?John Pearce of Standen Hussey, nephew and heir to Stephen Pearce of North Standen?]
3.1.1818 John Hunt Watts, of Ham, Esquire bought from Matthew Loder Smith, and wife Lucy for £5,450 [Richard Parsons ?mortgager, late of Stanham Farm, now City of Bath]. Estate includes cottages occupied by: Dean Hatter, Mary Shepherd, widow, Maria Bance.