You are in [Events] [Significant Anniversaries]
1421 – 600 yrs since The Priory of St John had dwindled to secular use.
1546 – 475 yrs since The Priory of St John was finally dissolved.
1571 – 450 yrs since the introduction of “Statute” bricks – 9" x 4½" x 2¼"
1721 – 300 yrs since the brutal murder of William and Ann Cheyney in their home in High Street.
1746 – 275 yrs since the road through Froxfield and Savernake to Marlborough was upgraded to a turnpike.
1771 – 250 yrs since a new key had to be made for the Blindhouse (prison cell).
1796 – 225 yrs since John Willes bought Hungerford Park.
1821 – 200 yrs since a famous bare knuckle fight took place on The Common.
1821 – 200 yrs since the death of John Blackwell, canal engineer, who lived in The Croft.
1846 – 175 yrs since the Hungerford Gas & Coke Company was set up.
1846 – 175 yrs since the Manor Brewery was offered for sale.
1846 – 175 yrs since the earliest mention of the Royal Berkshire Yeomanry was first mentioned.
1846 – 175 yrs since horse races were held on the racecourse on The Common.
1846 – 175 yrs since the Union Workhouse was opened in Park Street.
1871 – 150 yrs since a new railway station was built replacing both 'up' and 'down' buildings
1871 – 150 yrs since the new Town Hall and Corn Exchange was opened.
1896 – 125 yrs since the High Street railway bridge was replaced.
1921 – 100 yrs since the War Memorial in Bridge Street was dedicated.
1921 – 100 yrs since Caleb Camburn retired from the All-Age Council School.
1946 – 75 yrs since the Croft Nursery School re-opened in 1946.
1946 – 75 yrs since the last service at Holy Trinity Church, Denford.
1971 – 50 yrs since the opening of the M4 motorway.
1971 – 50 yrs since the huge railway accident at Hungerford station.
1996 – 25 yrs since Littlecote House was converted to a hotel.
1996 – 25 yrs since The Tuesday Club was established.
1996 – 25 yrs since Morley Lunches were set up.
1996 – 25 yrs since the Ambulance Station closed in Hungerford.
1320 - 700 yrs since Edward II passed through Hungerford en route to Marlborough.
1470 - 550 yrs since the earliest known rent roll of the Duchy of Lancaster properties in Hungerford.
1520 - 500 yrs since the present Tudor manor house of Littlecote was built by Sir George Darrell.
1595 - 425 yrs since Hungerford Park was granted to Queen Elizabeth's favourite, the Earl of Essex.
1770 - 250 yrs since the long established practice of burying people in wool lapsed.
1795 - 225 yrs since the the John o'Gaunt Inn was established in Bridge Street.
1845 - 175 yrs since the Hungerford Gas & Coke Company was registered.
1845 - 175 yrs since the Glass Tax was abolished by Sir Robert Peel's government.
1870 - 150 yrs since the Wesleyan Chapel was built in Charnham Street.
1870 - 150 yrs since the Hungerford Lying-in Charity reported that 35 poor women had been "relieved".
1870 - 150 yrs since St Mary's School-Chapel in Newtown was opened.
1895 - 125 yrs since the last remaining Turnpike Trust collected its final toll.
1895 - 125 yrs since the boundary changes of 1895 brought Charnham Street into Berkshire.
1945 - 75 yrs since the end of Second World War.
1945 - 75 yrs since War-time rationing continues.
1945 - 75 yrs since Chilton Factory was employing 250 people working shifts around the clock.
1970 - 50 yrs since the first Steam Fayre was held on the Common.
1995 - 25 yrs since the publication of Julie Shuttleworth's book on "Elizabethan Hungerford".
1995 - 25 yrs since Hungerford Hospital (the old Union Workhouse) in Park Street was demolished.
1369 - 650 yrs since John of Gaunt's first wife Blanche died.
1869 - 150 yrs since Wesleyan Chapel in Charnham Street built.
1894 - 125 yrs since boundary changes bring Charnham Street into Hungerford.
1919 - 100 yrs since the Peace Celebration Dinner marking the end of the First World War.
1944 - 75 yrs since General Eisenhower addressed American troops on Hungerford Common.
1974 - 45 yrs since the Kennet & Avon Canal was re-opened to Hungerford after restoration.
1974 - 45 yrs since The Regent Cinema was pulled down and Regent Close was built.
1118 - 1000 yrs since the earliest written record of Hungerford by name.
1668 - 350 yrs Samuel Pepys visited Hungerford, and dined at The Bear.
1718 - 300 yrs since lime trees were planted around the Town Pond.
1718 - 300 yrs since a Fire Eater was paid 10/- for a public performance in the Elizabethan Town Hall
1868 - 150 yrs since St Saviour's Church was built in Eddington.
1868 - 150 yrs since the Methodist Chapel in Bridge Street was built.
1893 - 125 yrs since the Manor Brewery was sold by John Platt to South Berks Brewery.
1893 - 125 yrs since the Walmesley family bought the large Inglewood Estate.
1918 - 100 yrs since 19 local men were killed in the First World War.
1918 - 100 yrs since the end of the First World War.
1918 - 100 yrs since the Bowls Club was formed.
1943 - 75 yrs since the Vickers Armstrong Factory in Eddington was closed.
1943 - 75 yrs since women were allowed to join the Home Guard.
1968 - 50 yrs since the Fire Station opened in Church Street.
1993 - 25 yrs since many of the oral history recordings with local residents were made.
1993 - 25 yrs since Paul Lewington took over from his uncle "Bob" as Orangeman on Tutti-Day.
1617 - 400 yrs since the Feoffment of the Town & Manor of Hungerford
1842 - 175 yrs since Westfield House School opened.
1842 - 175 yrs since the Infant National School built in Hungerford Newtown.
1842 - 175 yrs since Pigot's Directory gives a detailed account of the town at that time.
1867 - 150 yrs since Parish Magazine first published.
1867 - 150 yrs since serious fire at railway station.
1867 - 150 yrs since foundation stone of St Saviour's Church, Eddington laid.
1892 - 125 yrs since disastrous fire at Cottrell's Iron Works, Eddington.
1892 - 125 yrs since the old fire station in Charnham Street opened.
1917 - 100 yrs since plane crash in the High Street.
1917 - 100 yrs since many Hungerford men lost their lives in WWI.
1942 - 75 yrs since Croft Nursery School opened as a Wartime Nursery.
1942 - 75 yrs since Home Guard very active.
1942 - 75 yrs since many Hungerford men lost their lives in WWII.
1967 - 50 yrs since Albert Parsons, town photographer, died.
1967 - 50 yrs since Barclays Bank opened in Hungerford.
1967 - 50 yrs since Wooldridge's Builders on the Wharf closed.
1967 - 50 yrs since 1st Hungerford Scouts Group reformed.
1992 - 25 yrs since several "oral history" records made of elderly residents' memories.
1516 - 500 yrs since Henry VIII created the Royal Mail
1566 - 450 yrs since the Great Fire of Hungerford
1566 - 450 yrs since the Case of the Missing Charters
1666 - 350 yrs since the Great Fire of London - see Fire Marks
1816 - 200 yrs since the new St Lawrence Parish Church was built
1866 - 150 yrs since Hungerford's Grammar School had a really bad report
1866 - 150 yrs since local Turnpike Trusts ended
1866 - 150 yrs since Savernake Hospital opened. See Local Hospitals
1916 - 100 yrs since so many soldiers' deaths in 1st World War
1941 - 75 yrs since Hungerford raised £90,000 to help fund HMS Freesia
1941 - 75 yrs since cattle grids were first installed at the Common gates
1941 - 75 yrs since so many military deaths in 2nd World War
1941 - 75 yrs since Chilton Factory switched to making parts for the war effort
1966 - 50 yrs since Hungerford Laundry closed
1966 - 50 yrs since Railway bridge over High Street replaced
1991 - 25 yrs since major upgrade at the Primary School
1991 - 25 yrs since the recording of many audio archives
1991 - 25 yrs since Video of "Hungerford - a Town for Industry" was made
1265 - 750 yrs since Simon de Montfort killed at Battle of Evesham
1665 - 350 yrs since King Charles II passed through Hungerford
1815 - 200 yrs since the re-building of St Lawrence's Parish Church
1865 - 150 yrs since early Carte de Visite photograph of Hungerford Town Hall
1915 - 100 yrs since the National School building was used as a VAD Hospital in WWI
1940 - 75 yrs since Hungerford in the midst of the Second World War
1940 - 75 yrs since Pill Boxes and other defences built along the canal
1965 - 50 yrs since Hungerford Newtown School closed
1965 - 50 yrs since Manor House was demolished to make way for a petrol station!
1990 - 25 yrs since Kennet and Avon Canal fully re-opened after restoration
1464 - 550 yrs since First mention of The Bear in Charnham Street
1689 - 325 yrs since Hearth Tax introduced - see the Hungerford records...
1814 - 200 yrs since the opening of the National School
1814 - 200 yrs since the re-building of St Lawrence's Parish Church
1864 - 150 yrs since the building of the Police Station, Park Street
1889 - 125 yrs since the repeal of the Coal Tax
1914 - 100 yrs since the start of the First World War - the "Great War"
1914 - 100 yrs since the new Post Office built in High Street
1939 - 75 yrs since the end of the Second World War
1964 - 50 yrs since the opening of the Open-air Swimming Pool
1989 - 25 yrs since the Archaeological dig at Undy's Farm
1688 - 325 yrs since William of Orange met Commissioners of James II at The Bear
1713 - 300 yrs since Death of Jethro Tull II
1788 - 225 yrs since First meeting to consider Western Canal
1813 - 200 yrs since Large Ordnance Depot built at Picket Field
1913 - 100 yrs since Sweet Chestnut trees planted in The Croft
1953 - 60 yrs since Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
1963 - 50 yrs since John of Gaunt Secondary School opened
1988 - 25 yrs since Archaeological dig at Undy's Farm, 1988
2012 - ...... Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee
1912 - 100 yrs since the visit of King George V (21-26 Oct 1912)
1862 - 150 yrs since the railway was extended through Hungerford to the west
1762 - 250 yrs since the murder of William and Ann Cheyney in their home (11 Dec 1762)
1987 - 25 yrs since the Hungerford Shooting Tragedy (19 Aug 1987)
1887 - 125 yrs since Queen Victoria's Jubilee (21 Jun 1887)
1662 - 350 yrs since the introduction of the Hearth Tax
1687 - 325 yrs since a new clock was bought for the "clock house" in Town Hall for £10.
1887 - 125 yrs since Rural Sports were held on the Common, Easter Monday (11 Apr 1887)