The earliest known record for the "Malt Shovel" is in the 1830 Pigot's Directory, where it is listed as being in "Hungerford New Town", with Jonathan Miles as landlord. It is not yet known exactly where this tavern was.
1830 (Pigot's Dir) Jonathan Miles
1854 (Billing's Dir) William Willis.
The land on which Hungerford Newtown School was was built in 1900 was called "Malt Shovel Meadow".