The history of ownership and occupation of the properties at the southern end of the west side of High Street (modern numbers 45-65) is very speculative.
Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.
Common Rights? No
Date of current building:
Description of property:
- 58 High Street, Dec 2015
The three timber-framed cottages (now 55-57 High Street) shown in the Photo Gallery appear to date from the 17th or 18th century. Certainly they were not built by the time of the 1612-17 feoffment, and they do not attract Common Rights. They were rebuilt c1950. It appears that 58 High Street was rebuilt about the same time?
1851 (CS) ?Elizabeth Fields
1861 (CS) ?Alfred Talbot
1871 (CS): ?Richard Hasell
<1873: Isaac and Lucy Nock (owner).
15 Dec 1873: (DD) Isaac Nock (of Hungerford, labourer) & Lucy his wife, sold (for £360) to Edwin Buxcey (of Hungerford, carrier) 4 cottages (now 55-58 High Street), yard, barn and premises. (See plan in Photo Gallery). Current occupiers:
55: Sarah Field
56: Richard Barnard
57: Alfred Rozier
58: Mary Rozier
1881 (CS) ?Edwin Buxcey
1901 (CS) ?Edwin Buxcey
20 Sep 1918: (DD) Annie Heath (wife of John Heath of Slough, gardner), George Buxcey (of Merton, Surrey, electrician) and William Buxcey (of Coventry, Commissioner) sold to John Edward Mills (of Hungerford, builder's assistant) for £250. Four cottages (now 55-58 High Street), gardens and outhoueses, formerly in the occupation of Harriett Buxcey deceased and others, now occupied by ..?.. Whites, Mosley, ..?.., Chapman and one unoccupied. Also the roadway, stable and pigsty behind.
20 Apr 1937: (DD): Legal Charge: J E Mills (of The Croft, Hungerford, retired builder's manager) borrowed £600 from A C Bound et al relating to "four cottages in High Street, Nos 55-58". £600. Occupied by Liddle, Martin, Wills and Culley respectively.
6 May 1937: (DD) John Edwards Mills, first entry in Land Registry for 55-58 High Street.
7 May 1923: (DD) Memorandum of deposit of Title Deeds by J E Mills to Lloyds Bank Ltd.
55: F.G. Noyce
56: S.F. Bushnell, town crier and bill poster
57: N.C. Wills
58: C. Culley
9 Feb 1954: (DD) John Edward Mills (retired builder's manager, now in Bournemouth) sold the yard and premises at rear of 57 High Street to Charles Deacon (11 Salisbury Road, Hungerford, wood merchant) for £200. 22 Dec 1962: J E Mills died 22 Dec 1962 - Probate granted to Lilian Eleanor Mills, widow. Lilian Mills died 19 Apr 1980 - Probate granted to Thomas Lewis Cox.
c.1954 Possible date of demolition of the thatched timber-framed cottages and rebuilding.
- Newton Collection - relating to 55-65 High Street, 1835-1987.