You are in [Places] [Manor Brewery]

The Manor Brewery was built on land at the rear of Manor House c1847 by the wealthy brewer John Platt junior (born c1801). Prior to this (1841 census) he had lived at Willow Lodge in Bridge Street, and was recorded as "Brewer, employing 20 men", and using the adjacent malthouse.

The Platt family was a large one (see The Priory).

The first evidence of John Platt at Manor House was the 1847 Commoners List where he is listed as owner and occupant. The Kelly Directory of the same  year records him as "brewer, maltster,  wine, spirit and hop merchant". John Platt was an effective businessman, and by 1861 he is recorded in the census as aged 50 years, with 290  acres, employing 9 men and 3 boys.

The large brewery building came to supply many of the towns inns and alehouses.

Manor Brewery was owned by John Platt between 1847 and 1882. At some stage, Mr B Farmer was a partner. The Berkshire Chronicle of Sat 31 Jan 1880 records  "Sudden death of Mr B Farmer. - On Monday last a telegram was received in Hungerford to the effect that Mr B Farmer had suddenly died on that morning. Mr Farmer was formerly a partner in the firm of Platt and Farmer in the Hungerford Brewery. His death will be regretter by his circle of acquaintances."

After 1882 it was owned by John Platt junior, who decided to sell the Manor Brewery in 1893.

John Platt & Son, The Manor Brewery, was taken over by South Berks Brewery Co. Ltd. of Newbury c1900 (Atlas Brewery Co – Hawkins & Parfitt – name changed  to S. Berks Brewery Co in April 1913). [See Kennett R. Goodby 1975 – copy in pamphlets collection at BRO].

South Berks was taken over by H & G Simonds  of 32 Bridge Street Reading in Oct 1920. In turn, Simonds was taken over by Courage Barclay & Co of London in 1960. [Info in T/S booklet by Alan Gull, 22 Stonefield Drive, Stoneclough, Radcliffe, M/C M26 9HA]

The large brewery building became used for the Hungerford Sanitary Laundry Co. Ltd, established c1908.

Some of the buildings were used by the James family millers for the production of feeding stuff and seeds during the First World War. In 1918 the main focus was on Game food manufacture, and the business moved to the newly built Great Western Mills in Church Street in 1932.

The laundry closed in December 1966 after several changes of ownership, having been renamed The Rose of  Hungerford Laundry in the 1950s.

Somerfield supermarket (later Tesco) and car-park was built on the site in 1999.

Photo Gallery:

brewery-20010817a brewery-20010817a
brewery-20010817b brewery-20010817b
brewery-20010817c brewery-20010817c
old brewery jun...
old brewery jun 1997 old brewery jun 1997
everlands road ...
everlands road 19980716-01 everlands road 19980716-01
everlands road ...
everlands road 19980716-02 everlands road 19980716-02
laundry 01
laundry 01 laundry 01

- Old Brewery building, Jun 1997

- The Hungerford Sanitary Laundry, c1920

- Old Brewery building, Jul 1998

- Loheat, Jul 1998

See also:

- Press cuttings relating to the Manor Brewery and the Platt family (kindly provided by Will Swales, May 2018)

- 121 High Street

- Hungerford Sanitary Laundry

- Inns and Alehouses

- The Priory - John Platt's Victorian pile