5510742 Pte Tucker F H J
Francis Henry Tucker, known as Frank, was born in 1907, the son of John and Jane Tucker. In 1911, he was living at home in Priory Place, Hungerford with his parents, his brother William and three sisters, Mabel, Beatrice and Ivy.
Having been educated in Hungerford, Frank Tucker left school and worked for Mr Lewington, the Coal Merchant, then for Mr Dodds, the Nurseryman, in what is now Hillside Road. Before he was called up he was working for Mr J T Gibbs the Builder. In his spare time he was a Bell-ringer.
In 1935, he married Frances E Wilkins in St. Lawrence’s Parish Church in Hungerford, and they had two children: Anthony R, b 1935 and Margaret A, b 1936, both in Hungerford.
Frank was called up on 12 December 1940 and joined the Royal Pioneer Corps at Parkhurst. After basic training he qualified as a Driver with his Unit. It is not known what duties he carried out during the period up to his illness other than he was involved in building defences on the East Coast.
It was in early 1943 that he first went into the Military Hospital with stomach trouble, something he had suffered with for many years. It appears that this complaint was aggravated by Army food, and in April 1943 he was graded to Category C and his diet changed in the hope that this would help the situation.
He was later admitted to hospital for minor surgery and at first appeared to be making a good recovery but on 14 July 1943 his condition gave cause for concern as his temperature began to rise and he complained of pain in his chest.
Unfortunately, he developed infection in his lungs and he died aged 37 yrs, on 1 August 1943. His home address was recorded as 73 High Street.
He was buried in St Saviours Cemetery Eddington, where his grave is marked by a CWGC headstone with the Regimental Badge.
- Frank Tucker
- Frank Tucker's CWGC headstone, St Saviour's churchyard, 2017. (by Dr Jimmy Whittaker)