You are in [Places] [Charnham Street Properties] [19 Charnham Street]
[-->18 Charnham Street]
[-->Wesleyan Chapel, Charnham Street]
[-->White Hart Inn]

Summary:

Cottage; Home Cafe; demolished for Chapel Court.

Photo Gallery:

charnham st 107
charnham st 107 charnham st 107
charnham st 146
charnham st 146 charnham st 146
charnham_home c...
charnham_home cafe 1974 charnham_home cafe 1974
home cafe c1978
home cafe c1978 home cafe c1978
charnham st 144
charnham st 144 charnham st 144
charnham st 145
charnham st 145 charnham st 145
charnham st 146
charnham st 146 charnham st 146
charnham st 106
charnham st 106 charnham st 106
fire-03
fire-03 fire-03
fire-15
fire-15 fire-15
fire_pratt fune...
fire_pratt funeral_02 fire_pratt funeral_02

- Home Cafe 1978

- Charnham Street c1920

- Home Cafe, 1974

- Home Cafe prior to demolition, c1975

- Site after demolition of Home Cafe c1976

- Awaiting re-development as Chapel Court c1976

Caveat:

The history of ownership and occupation of the properties in this part of Charnham Street is very speculative. Records are sketchy, and confusing. This page is the current "best attempt" to clarify the history of these properties, but much further work still needs to be done. It is possible that the historic boundaries do not match the modern ones.

Timeline:

1851 Census:
     #59: John Andrews (37), carpenter.
     -- House uninhabited --
     #60 Harriett Moulding - White Hart Inn, 20 Charnham St.
     #61 James Wise (50), boot and shoe maker, wife Jane (52), 1 son, 1 daughter, 2 lodgers. [I think this is 19 Charnham St - HLP]
     #62 Richard Palmer (57), servant, wife Elizabeth (50)
     #63 Richard Stagg (26), servant, wife Emily (28), 1 son, 2 daughters. (I think this 21 Charnham St - HLP]

1861 Census:
     #89 west: John Carey (37), butcher, wife Eliza (34), mother-in-law.
     #90 east: George Chesterman (55), post house master, wife Charlotte (40), 4 sons, 2 servants.
     #87 - James Wise  - apparently now at 21 Charnham Street?

1871 Census:
     #86: Thomas Middleton (35), plumber, painter and glazier, wife Sarah (35), 1 son, 1 aprentice, 1 lodger.
     #87: Thomas Jelfs (66), Auctioneer, wife Anne (58), 1 daughter.
     #88: Lion Inn

1881 Census: west to east:
     #84: James Wise (80), shoe maker, wife Jane (82)
     #85: William Stevens (23), upholstery master, wife Emily (24), 1 brother.
     #86: John Frampton (72), coach builder, wife Harriett (70), 2 daughters.
     #87: Arthur Jessett (26), baker, confectioner, wife Louise (28), 1 son, 1 daughter, 1 servant.
     #88: Red Lion Inn.

1894 Charnham Street Floods: Marlborough Times of 17th November 1894 reported "...the inhabitants of the houses between the Bear and Mr. Gibbon's Iron Foundry were, if anything, in a worse plight. Mr Pinchen's house near the Fire Station was flooded, as was also the Engine House. Mr. Skinner's shop and dining room had nearly 2ft. of water in them, and boxes and confectionery bottles were floating about. The whole of Faulkner Square was under water, and had the appearance of a large lake. All the houses in the square were flooded, and the inhabitants had to remove upstairs, provisions, where needed, being drawn up in baskets. Mr. Hidden was a considerable sufferer, as to carpets and furniture. Mr. Edmonds and Mr. Pearce had their underground kitchens invaded, and as their supply of provisions and fuel were in them, they were cut off from food and firing. In the houses of Mr. Wren and Mr. Gibbons, the water rose to a great height, and the fire in the grate at Mr. Gibbons's was put out. Mrs. Withers, too, at the Red Lion Inn, had a terrible time of it, and the houses of Mr. Andrews, Mr. Lamsden, Mr. Buxey, and Mr. Joyce were also flooded."

1901 (Census) Frederick Noon (64), Millwright, with wife and son (14) - a cycle maker's apprentice, a boarder and grand-daughter.

1911 Census:
     #103 Thomas Wheeler - The Red Lion
     #102 William Wiggins (39), shoeing and jobbing smith, wife Ada (39), 2 sons, 2 daughter, wife's father and mother (Charles & Harriet Oakes, retired blacksmith), 1 brother, 1 lodger (assistant blacksmith), 7 rooms.
     #101 William Smith (65), gardener domestic, wife Emma (54), 3 sons, 2 daughers, 1 nephew, 1 niece, 1 visitor, 3 bedrooms, 2 living rooms.

1939 Blacket's Dir: Chas. Davis, Stone mason, also Mrs G E Davis "Home Cafe".
1940 Blacket's Dir: Chas. Davis, Stone mason

1960s: Home Cafe owned by Alan Curtis

1975 Home Cafe demolished

1977 Redeveloped as part of Chapel Court.

See also:

- Charnham Street floods, 1894

- Charnham Street floods, 1932