Earliest information: 1470
Original estate: ?Chantry of Blessed Virgin Mary
Common Rights? Yes (but now void) (Frontage 56ft; 12 horses or 24 cows)
Date of current building: Canal Bridge: 1798
Grade II Listed (Canal Bridge)
When the Kennet and Avon Canal was built through the centre of Hungerford, there were seven properties that had to be demolished - four properties on the west side, and three on the east side.
Description of property:
[Canal bridge: From Listed Building records: Canal Bridge. Late 18th century. Brick with stone capping to parapet. Plain single arched bridge with long wing walls abutting road.]
- Aerial view of wharf area, Aug 2007
- Aerial view of wharf area, c1950
The following entries, from Norman Hidden's papers, relate to property/properties on the site of the Kennet and Avon Canal, but it is unclear just which specific property:
c.1470 (NH) John Tuckhyll (1st Constable of Hungerford) "late Julian Verman's"
1547/8 (NH) Thomas Faller; Thomas Dalman (occ)
1552 (NH) Town Survey: Thomas Faller; John Asheton (Austin) (occ)
1560 (NH) Edward Fawleye
1573 (NH) Thomas Goddard (own); William Pittfoule (occ)
1591 (NH) Thomas Goddard (own); William Pittfoule (occ)
Kennet and Avon Canal
3 properties removed on east side
1753-61 (QR) John Carpenter for his house late ?Randalph's, q.r. 4d.
1774-80 (QR) John Carpenter for his house late ?Randalph's, q.r. 4d.
It is unclear at present why there appear to be only single entries in the Quit Rent Rolls prior to 1781, but the two or three properties on the east for later dates. Indeed the early records on this property are very hard to decipher at all!:
1781 ?Betty Pearce (see 1795 QR)
1795-1804 (QR) The Company of Proprietors of Kennet and Avon Canal Company for land whereon Betty Pearce's house late Carpenter's stood, q.r. 4d.
1798 Kennet & Avon Canal opened to Hungerford. Seven houses demolished (from 1896 CL):
- G. Dubber
- Mrs Lewington
- Mrs Patty Lewington
- William Marchant
- John Shermans
- Henry Head
Rights of each tenement (2 horses, 4 cows) sold by canal company to John Willes Esq.
1805-17 (QR) The Company of Proprietors of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company for land whereon Betty Pearce's house formerly stood, q.r. 4d.
1807 (CL) The Proprietor of the Kennet and Avon Canal for (East side):
- Robert Smith
- George Smith
- Harriet ..?..
20.7.1974 Kennet & Avon Canal re-opened to Hungerford (and Hungerford Lock)