You are in [Themes] [War Memorials] [War Memorial - 1st World War] [Henry Dolphin Marchant]

Private 22215 Henry Dolphin Marchant
2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards

[He is shown on the CWGC as being in the 5th Battalion – This is incorrect as the 5th was a reserve battalion in England]

Local Information:

Private Marchant was born in Ramsbury, Wiltshire and was the son of Mrs Marchant, of Eddington Terrace, Hungerford. He was attested at Newbury on the 16th February 1915. At that time he was 22 years and 11 months old. His trade was a Carter and his address was given as Great Hidden, Hungerford, Berks. He was described as 5' 10" tall, Chest 59", with chest expansion of 2". His father Dolphin Marchant lived at Undys Farm Cottage, Hungerford. He had four brothers, William, Frederick, Thomas and Edward, and one sister Elsie Marie.

He went to the Guards Depot at Caterham on the 16th January 1915 remaining there training until the 1st January 1916.

He went to France on the 2nd January 1916 and may have joined the 4th Battalion. On the 5th September 1917 he received a gun shot wound to the head after which he returned to England on the 23rd September for hospital treatment. He remained in England receiving medical treatment until the 31st March 1919.

We believe he was again wounded on the 30th May 1918 returning to England. He was sent to the Collection House, Dorchester where on the 17th June 1918 he died of wounds. His next of kin were informed two days later. His body was returned to Hungerford where he was buried in the Hungerford Church Cemetery, Eddington. He had a total service of 3 years, 154 days and was entitled to the British War and Victory Medal.

Photo Gallery:

grenadier-guards-cap-badge grenadier-guards-cap-badge
marchant marchant

- Cap badge of the Grenadier Guards

- The Commonwealth War grave for Private Marchant in St Saviour's Churchyard, Eddington

Regimental Information:

He spent most of his service apart from training at the front. He would have served on the Somme in 1916, and would most certainly taken part in the third battle of Ypres (Passendale). He was originally wounded in the Northern Ypres Salient. In March 1918 the Germans opened a huge offensive which drove back the allies and almost broke through completely. It appears he was wounded towards the end of that offensive.

He is shown as a Private. Until 1918 there was now such rank as Guardsman. This was introduced after the armistice, on the instruction of King George V in recognition of the services of the Guards Division during the war. The records show he was in the 5th Battalion at the time of his death. The practice in the guards was to transfer men who were wounded to a home battalion.