The first mention of forming a football club was in the Parish magazine of November 1873. Those interest in joining were invited to send their names to M A Chilton, Esq.
In the end it was not until October 1886 that Hungerford Town Football Club was founded.
Matches were played on "the downs" (now Hungerford Common). In the early years of the 1900s the Club at this time was on the western edge of the town beyond Smitham Bridge, near The Orchard in Marsh Lane.
This section of the Virtual Museum needs further development. If you can help, please email the Administrator.
- Hungerford Football Club, 1899
- Hungerford Swifts c1904 (photo by A. Parsons, Church Street). [Back row: ??; Joe Neale; George Neale; Roger Tidbury] [Kindly sent by Stella Sampson]
- Hungerford United Football Club, 1904-05 W Withers, Hunt, T Jessett, G Withers, Rev J Denning, H Chapman, O Sturgess, J Denning, R Hoflin, F Jessett, Tidbury, Wilmott, Archer, Archer.
- Hungerford United Football Club, 1904-05
- "1st Hungerford B.B.F.C. 1906-07" [Mapson & Son, Hungerford and Pewsey]
- Hungerford Swifts Football Club, 1908-9
- Hungerford Swifts v Hungerford Church House F.C. (Posted by W Champ 27 Oct 1908) [Joseph neale 2nd from left, front row; Rev Denning 2nd from left, 2nd row from back] [Kindly sent by Stella Sampson]
- Winners of the Hungerford Challenge Cup, 1911 (Henry Reynolds jnr in cap)
- Ramsbury Burdett Football Club, winners of the Hungerford and District Cup, 1912-13. (Kindly sent by Kathy Chamberlain, St Andrews, Fife, 2011)
- Hungerford Football Club, 1913-14 [Rev Denning in centre; George Neale 2nd left, back row] [Kindly sent by Stella Sampson]
- Married v. Single, 1921. The 1920s were years when sport features strongly in the life of Hungerford. Teams and matches were arranged with almost every combination imaginable. This photograph shows the teams taking part in the annual Football Club match between the married and single men. The teams are posed in front of what became the cricket pavilion – which is the old G.W.R. Savernake station re-used! Good classic G.W.R. style. A later cricket pavilion (which burnt down in 1963) was made from re-cycled packing cases that were used to transport the Waco gliders from the U.S.A. during the Second World War.
- Winners of the Newbury Cup, Hungerford Cup, Hungerford Tournament Cup and Runners-up Newbury League, 1928-29
- Ladies Football, 1956
- "The History of Hungerford Town Football Club", Bob Edmonds, 1994 [HHA Archive N24]
- Parish Magazine, esp Nov 1873, Oct 1886, June 1892.
- Hungerford Football Club, [HHA Archive B47], including:
Souvenir program 1975-76 Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Final
Pre-Season Friendlies Magazine
14.8.1976 v Chesham United, and
16.8.1976 v Cheltenham Town
Official Match Day Magazine 9.9.1978 v Willesden
Official Match Day Magazine 4.11.1978 v Hemel Hemstead