In 1949 Miss Jean Earle was appointed Superintendent. The land extending down towards the canal was cleared and added to the playground.
In 1953 the Superintendents officially became "Head Teachers", to emphasis the teaching role. CCR qualification was replaced by a 2-year training for the National Nursery
Examination Board Certificate. Hungerford Nursery was an official training school for students on this course.
Many Nursery Schools, especially in the south of England, were closed during the 1950s, and there was a national ban on nursery building due to scarce resources after the
war. However, Berkshire retained its 13 nurseries and had the first new permanent nursery with open plan built at Cookham. Visitors came from all over the world.
Hungerford's Croft Nursery School continued to thrive, under the Head Teachers Miss Stella French (1954-84); and Mrs Angela Pomroy (1984-1998). See "Head says farewell", NWN 30 Jul 1998.). An extension to the building was added in
At this time the Assistant Teacher was Miss Nicola Dunks, with Nursery Nurses Mrs Pat Eggbeer (1957-July 2001) and Mrs Rosalie Brady.
The line of excellent head teachers continued with Mrs Jane Simons (appointed 1998), and it was largely due to her energy and drive that the local authority agreed to
build a completely new nursery school, at last replacing the 1942 pre-fab (which had well-surpassed its 10-year predicted life!).
^ top ^
Hungerford was indeed fortunate to have a grand new Nursery School building, which opened in January 2005. (The official opening was
on 25th June 2005). The new school is double the size of the earlier one, and includes a separate head teacher's office, staff room, and hall. The text below is from the information available after
the re-opening in 2005:
HUNGERFORD NURSERY SCHOOL
Centre for Children and Families
Hungerford RG17 OHY
Headteacher: Mrs Jane Simons
Our new Nursery reopened on January 10th 2005 back on the original site in the Croft. We are now able to boast extra
facilities not only for children, but also for their families, hence the change of name. The Centre is situated in a beautiful setting backing onto the Kennet and Avon canal. The school caters for
children from the age of 4 spending three terms with us until they reach the age of 5 when they transfer to primary school. The time children spend in nursery gradually increases from part time to
fulltime sessions through the year. We are able to accommodate the equivalent of 40 fulltime children in the nursery school which usually means there are approximately 60 children on our roll. Now we
have more space we have a designated area for other services and groups catering particularly for parents/carers and professionals working with under 5's. This hall is known as the 'Play
We are now able to offer a breakfast club from 8am and an after school club to those children attending the nursery, the Hungerford Playgroup or those children in the Foundation
Stage class at the Hungerford Primary School.
Jane Simons retired in March 2008, when the new head teacher was Suzanne Taylor.
The nursery school continues to get excellent Ofsted reports. In 2012-13 it was "outstanding" in every way - the third successive outstanding report. See "Three cheers for our nursery", NWN 24 Jan 2013.
- "Nursery celebrates its mark of quality", NWN 27 Nov 2003
- "Glowing Ofstead report for nursery", NWN 15 Feb 2007
- Invitation to Jane Simons' Retirement Party, 2008
- "Three cheers for our nursery", NWN 24 Jan 2013.
Back to Top