The surgery was a small part of the ground floor of Manor House, sublet to the practice by Dr. Boyd. It consisted of a small
waiting-room, two tiny consulting rooms, a minute dispensary, and one examination room. There was no secretary at this time, and Mrs. Boyd did the clerical work, largely consisting of booking all the
private visits, and sending out bills. This was a very considerable chore, for which she received a miserly salary from the practice. A few months later, a part-time secretary was hired, and she
worked during the afternoon from Dr. Boyd's consulting room.
Meanwhile, the N.H.S. Act was clearly going to be passed, and Dr. Boyd viewed the prospect of a Nationalised Health Service with
considerable distaste. He felt very strongly about the Government forcing doctors to surrender their ownership of the practices. He gave notice in December 1946 that he wished to leave the
partnership, and decided to leave not only the practice, but Hungerford as well, where he held a seat on the Rural District Council, and a seat on the Bench.
Dr. Boyd left medicine entirely at this time, joining his family firm of Manufacturing & Wholesale Chemists back in his
native Dublin, where he was awarded M.A. Dublin in 1969. He returned to the Hungerford area in his retirement, and he and his wife lived at "Saffron Briers", 2 Green Close, East Grafton,
until his death on 23rd February 1990.
This was, of course, a difficult time to attract new partners into general practice, and it was some months before a successor was
found. Dr. Wallis had been in post for less than a year. Advertisements were placed for a new partner, but this was a very difficult time to arrange such things. Prospective partners were
understandably wary of investing money in a practice which was due to be Nationalised in the following year.
Dr. Boyd eventually left the practice on 30th June 1947, and Dr. Robert Kennedy came to join the practice on 1st July 1947, moving into Manor House with his wife, Helen Rebecca, known as "Becky".
Robert Dill Kennedy was born in Australia on 1st April 1915, the son of a doctor, but the family was soon to return to England when
young Robert was aged five months, so that his father could join the R.A.M.C. for war service. After the war, Robert's father took over a practice in Newbury, and the family moved out to
Bucklebury in 1934.
Robert Kennedy was educated at Radley College, and went on to read medicine at Caius College, Cambridge,
where he was in the college eight rowing team. His clinical training was at University College Hospital, London, and after his first appointment at UCH, he entered war service during the Second World
War with the Royal Air Force in the Middle East.
When the war was over, he returned to UCH where he extended his already deep interest in psychiatry. However, he chose to make his
career in general practice, and, in July 1947, he came to Hungerford, where he bought equal shares in the partnership, which became Drs. Wallis and Kennedy.
Prior to Dr. Boyd's retirement, the doctors had set up a small Health Service of their own, wherein patients below a certain income
level paid a small weekly sum, and received medical services and drugs free, just as did those "on the Panel". At the same time, Savernake Hospital at Marlborough ran a "Penny in the
Pound" scheme, which virtually all patients joined.
Dr. Wallis was responsible for Hungerford Hospital, and Dr. Kennedy was appointed "Parish Doctor", and was responsible for all
the "poor", that is those not eligible to be "panel" patients, nor able to afford to pay privately.
When the N.H.S. was started in 1948, it had very little effect on the Practice, except that the partners were saved the work of sending
out bills to patients. There was, however, considerably more paperwork and clerical work to do.
One minor advantage was that prior to the N.H.S. Dr. Wallis had been running an Infant Welfare Clinic on a voluntary unpaid basis, which
then became a paid occupation! Max Wallis comments that Aneuran Bevan always boasted that he had started this sort of clinic.
Dr. Kennedy lived during this period in Manor House, which was rented from the Hungerford Laundry Company. Whilst they were at Manor
House, he and his wife had four children, all boys. In due course, two of them were to follow in their father's footsteps and become doctors, whilst a third is a solicitor.
Medicine in Hungerford:
-The Early Days
-The Start of Organised Medicine
-The 19th Century and Medical Nepotism
-The Early 1900s
- District Nursing
-The First World War
-Between the Wars
-The Second World War
Coming of the N.H.S.
-The Healthcare Team
Back to Top