Dr. Wallis' health improved by 1954, and he began to do light duties again. Dr. Brown left Hungerford in ?April 1955 to go into
practice in Leigh on Sea, and some years later he moved to Exeter, where he was still in practice, at least until 1985. (Dr. Wallis and he often dined together and chat about the old times in
As Dr. Brown left, a new partner was taken into the practice. Dr. Gordon Currie joined with an equal third
share. An extra room was rented in Manor House, which Dr. Kennedy used for consulting, whilst Dr. Currie took over Dr. Kennedy's previous consulting room, sharing the meagre examination room with
By 1957 the fabric of Manor House was deteriorating, and there was a change in the Rent Restriction Act. The main problem was woodworm,
and the surgery portion was in danger of falling through to the cellars! The only solution was to support the floor on steel girders, a job not viewed with enthusiasm by either the owners or
occupants, especially as the lease was virtually at an end! The lessors tried to sell the building to Dr. Kennedy (who was of course living there), and then to the Practice, but neither party was
interested in the purchase.
The two partners decided that the best option open to them was to build a completely new purpose built surgery in
the town, and they set about its design with enthusiasm. At this time (1958) there were hardly any purpose built surgeries in existence, and the design was very largely their own responsibility,
along with the architect, Patrick Sweetnam.