In 1815 a Land Tax of 10s 1½d was paid by Henry Burton for the White Hart Inn - Mrs Morrish occupier.
William Henry Moulding was landlord between 1823-1830 (Pigot), and Harriet Moulding
1844-1864. In the 1847 Kelly and 1854 Billing, she is also recorded as a butcher!
1851 (CS) Harriet Moulding, widow (62), Innkeeper; Henry Moulding, son , Butcher; two daughters (26 and 22); Robert Goddard (57), Ostler; John Fowler (22), Butcher;
Sarah Pontin (22); Mary Lamdin (12), Visitor.
We understand that there is indeed a family connection between the Hutchins family of butchers and the Mouldings. Andrew G Hutchins has contacted the Virtual Museum to
explain that the daughter of William Henry and Harriet Moulding (nee Wall), landlords of the White Hart until it closed in 1864, was Esther Moulding. Esther married (in Hungerford) William Hutchins.
He also explained that despite opening a butchers shop in Neath, they were also landlords of the Queens Hotel there.
We also understand (from David Frampton of Leconfield, East Yorkshire, 21 Apr 1994) that Harriet Moulding's son-in-law was David Frampton's great-great grandfather, John
Frampton, who lived in Charnham Street, working as a coach-builder between 1835-1880.
1861 (Census) Harriet Moulding, Innkeeper and butcher.
In 1864 the inn closed, and was replaced by the Wesleyan Chapel, built 1869.
- Hungerford Methodist Church papers, BRO, D/N 3/3/3.
- Wesleyan Chapel, Charnham Street
Back to Top