The original billiard table was given by Sir WG Pearce in March 1902. A second table was purchased in November 1909. The handsome 6-light pendant was donated at the same
time by The Honourable John Ward, of Chilton Lodge.
In April 1913 a new billiard table was installed - a ninety guinea match table by Messrs Wright of London. The other "very good" table was by Messrs Riley.
In addition to the club room, library, Reading Room, and billiards, the generous endowment in Sir William Pearce's will allowed the establishment of an active Sunday
School, and later a Sports Section.
By 1921 The Club has acquired land nearby (on the north side of The Croft), and set up a Bowling Green, Croquet Lawn and Tennis Courts. See Hungerford Club Sports Section.
There was a move to put a bar on the premises, but it is said that the Hungerford vicar of the day would not permit this so the present clubhouse on the south side of the
Croft was bought from a Mr & Mrs Hermitage for the reported sum of £400 in 1929. It is believed that eight trustees of the day each contributed £50 to buy the property, and there was considerable
opposition from Croft residents when a Billiards room was later added.
Astra & Jim West kindly contacted the Virtual Museum to say that she thinks her grandfather Walter Herbert Champ (and his wife May Elizabeth) was the first steward of
the Club. He died in 1949, and May had to leave the Club. [See more on the Champ family at 100 High Street].
The Hungerford Club upheld all the traditions of 'a gentleman's club' and it was not until the 1960's that the controversial proposition was put to allow
women to become associate members. Rumour has it that the proposition drew one of the largest audiences to any meeting held at the Club, and after heated debates the motion was passed by the
narrowest of margins. Since then ladies have become full members.
The first major development of the Club occurred in 1974 when the ground floor of the Club was redesigned to provide a new bar in the traditional 'Old English'
In 1978 the second stage took place when the lounge was extended and a new committee and function room was created.
The indoor Sports facilities include 2 full size Snooker Tables always praised by visiting professionals which have included World Champions Terry Griffiths, Ray Reardon,
John Spencer, and Dennis Taylor.
In recent years the Club has spent many tens of thousands of pounds improving its facilities, its new Cellar conducive to the Club gaining the coveted CAMRA Southern
Region Club of the Year award and being runner up nationally, much due to the excellence of the Club Bar Manager, Mr Ken Nisbett. The Club is committed to serve its members and the suppport from them
is exceptional but complacency, that most modem of diseases must not be allowed to rear its ugly head. With 500 members it is a large community within a community and there is room for any such
minded people to join either as a social member or the Bowls or Tennis Sections. A warm welcome awaits you! The present Officers of the Club are: President - Mr H.Vellender, Chairman - Mr R.Stroud.
(Much of the text above is based on "The Hungerford Club into the New Millenium",
by Henry Vellender and Vic Lardner, 2000).
- Parish Magazine, esp Sep 1901; Oct 1901; Dec 1901, Apr 1913
- Hungerford Club AGM 20 Mar 1985. Agenda, minutes, accounts
- Hungerford Club Rules, 1988
- Hungerford Club Newsletter, Oct 1989
- Hungerford Club Winter Newsletter, Nov 1990
- "The Hungerford Club into the New Millenium", by Henry Vellender
and Vic Lardner, 2000)
- Hungerford Club tri-fold flyer (undated)
Back to Top