The Inquiry by the Charity Commissioners in August 1905 into all the affairs of the Town and Manor noted that "For the use of Port Down yearly rents are paid by various
clubs, £5 by the golf club...".
In April 1906 the lease of the Golf Club was renewed for a further seven years.
It appears that the Gold Club closed c1925, but re-started in 1929, when the Trustees of the Town and Manor had before them an application from the Golf Club to "resume
activities". The Trustees thought an annual rent of seven guineas would be appropriate. The Golf Club offered five guineas per annum and asked permission to make three bunkers.
The Trustees accepted the offer but deferred permission to make the bunkers until it was seen how the Club progressed.
The Newbury Weekly News of 19 Mar 1931 recorded that "Members of Hungerford Golf Club, restarted two years ago, decided on Monday to close down the course on the Common
In 1932 it was suggested that the Trustees might take over and run the Golf Club. This they declined to do and that seems to have been the end of Golf on Port Down.
It appears, therefore, that the Golf Club on the Common operated from 1903-1925, and re-opened in 1929 until it finally closed in 1931.
The NWN report (above) stated it was to close in Mar 1931, and Angela Evans (in 2002) spoke to her aunt Mary Peart (who was brought up in Dun Mill trout farm) who
confirmed there was no golf course in 1932. Alan Jackson (of "Through the Green") thought it "failed to survive WW2". He also thought "James Braid was involved in the design". Jack Williams recalled (interview 1993) that the golf club closed in the 1930s.
- Hungerford Common
- Letter from Alan Jackson, of "Through the Green", Feb 2002
Back to Top