The National School was erected, and the adjacent building (41 High Street)
was refurbished for the head master – clad in Bath stone.
1819 (EA) "Church Wardens"
Partial transcript of photocopied indenture now framed on the wall
of the reception area of DHC Solicitors, 17.10.2007. It is unclear at present just what property this indenture refers to – HLP. The original in possession of Robin Tubb – found
under floorboards of 1st floor, along with old school books when building refurbished:
This indenture, made 20th April 1835
between John Westall of Hungerford, linen draper, and William Parsons of Folly Farm, Hungerford, farmer and Churchwarden of the one part, and Edward William Leybourn Popham of Littlecote Park, John Willes of Hungerford Park, George Henry Cherry of Denford House, Rev Walter Kitson of Chilton Foliat, Rev William Cookson of Hungerford, Clerk, Richard Barker of Hungerford, surgeon, John Brown of Hungerford, brewer, trustees for managing the Hungerford and Chilton District School in Hungerford for the other part.
Indenture (lease) dated 26th October 1817 between Thomas Major of Hungerford, surgeon, Thomas Reeves of Hungerford, maltster, Churchwardens of Parish Church, of the one part, and EWL Popham, John Pearse, Esq., John Willes, Walter Kitson, Rev John Bradford, Richard Barker, (continuing trustees of the school) - annual rent of £10 for thirty years.
John Westall and William Parsons continue the lease arrangement, but agree to the trustees taking down the present dwelling house belonging to the said school, and to lay out within 12 months £150 and erecting and building in a proper manner a messuage on the site.
Site described as bounded on the east by the High Street, west by land belonging to [blank],
north by a cottage and garden of the late Richard Townsend, south by a cottage and garden of [blank].
New lease for £5 to be paid on the usual days 7th October and 6th April.
1843 (CL) [35=Thomas Angell; 36/7=John Sims; ?rectorial; 41=Joseph Hiskynes; ?rectorial; 46/47=Thomas Rosier (John Dyke deleted)].
^ top ^
1844 (PD) Joseph Hoskyn
– Master of National School – boys and girls. Mary Hoskyn – Mistress.
1847 (KD) Joseph Hoskyn – Master; Mrs Ann (sic!) Hoskyn – Mistress.
1847 (CL) Church Wardens
for National School (On north 35 occ by Thomas Angell and widow Hinton; ?36/37 by Joseph Alexander and John Batt; 43 Joseph Hoskins for National School; 44/47 Thomas Rosier himself).
Joseph Hoskyn – Master; Mrs Ann (sic!) Hoskyn – Mistress.
1851 (CS) Joseph Hoskyn (3), National School Master
1861 (CS) Josiah Warry (29), National School Master
1861 (CL) Church
Wardens for National School (On north Snook ?36/37, Townsend 35; on south Thomas Rosier 44/47?).
1864 (BD) The National Schools (sic!) are situated in the High Street. Average number of scholars in both: 130. Samuel Brook (Master); Emily D. Brook (Mistress)
1869 (PO) Thomas Pearse (Master); Mrs Jane Pearse (Mistress)
1870 (PM) Mr & Mrs Pearce paid £50 per annum – 180 boys and 145 girls. 9am – 12; 2-4 daily
except Sarturday. Payments 1d, 2d and 6d per week.
1870s (NF) Option for boys elected to the Latin Foundation at the Free Grammar School in The Croft (yet lower standard in 3R's at the Grammar
Nov 1871 Mr Newhook, Master at Farnborough, Hants., took over from Mr Pearce.
^ top ^
1876 Managers of school
able to adopt a graduated scale of fees due to the good reputation and competition for places – Labourer's 2d per week; Mechanics and Artisans 3d; Tradespeople 6d
1903 (KD) National C of E School: Mixed and Infants – for 320 children. Average attendance was 200 boys and girls, 80 infants.
"Erected 1814, subsequently enlarged. Rev. Hy A. Sealy, M.A. Sec; M. Goulter, Esq., Treasurer; James Newhook, Master; Mrs Newhook, Mistress of Infants.
1905 (MK) Schoolmaster's house refaced(?) and school refurbished.
1910 National School closed. New All-age Council School opened in Fairview Road.
1915-18 Used as Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) Hospital.
(SN) Miss Wooldridge was Matron.
1920 (KD) Technical Institute, used for cooking and laundry. Miss Owen was the cookery mistress. Continued to be used for educational purposes until the mid 1960s when it
was let for commercial use, prior to being sold by the Church in 1973.
1932 (QR) Churchwardens (Newhook) "Formerly School and House formerly Trustees of National School"
^ top ^
1930s Mrs Lilly Griffiths
(North View) and Mrs Pam Bishini (nee Batt, who lived at the barber's shop in Bridge Street), remember going to the library in a room round at the back of the National School building as children.
1939 (Blacket's) Technical Schools
1939-45 (SN) Used as Air Raid Precaution (ARP) Centre.
1950-60 (JD) Used for Domestic Science teaching, woodwork, and occasionally for accommodating junior classes.
1973 Auction (by AW Neate) at Town Hall. Sold by Trustees of Hungerford Church Charity to ?..? for £52,000 including 41 HS. The land behind the school (to Prospect Road)
was sold as a separate lot for £7,000 with planning permission for a house and garage. See Sale Particulars, 28 Jun 1973.
1978 ..?.. company selling fire-extinguishers used it?
199?-2003 High and Mighty offices. (in 1993) Closed 2003
2003- Dickins, Hopgood, Chidley, solicitors (started in 1996 behind Peter Stirland, in Bridge Street, moved to 110 High Street, and in 2003 to 42 HS. In 2006, they
celebrated 10 years since partnership established.)
Key to notes:
NF Mr Norman Fox's account in Newbury & District Field Club, Vol. 14, No. 1. Page 35.
MK Margaret King
JD John Davis, ex head-teacher, Hungerford Primary School
- National School
- Sale Particulars, 28 Jun 1973
Back to Top