In 1787 the estate was bought by Charles Dalbiac, who demolished the old mansion, and rebuilt on the same site. The Berkshire Directory of 1796 states "Mr Charles Dalbiac, the present proprietor, has lately erected an elegant villa in the Italian style on the spot where the old house stood".
c1796 the estate was bought by John Willes, who eventually (in 1850) rebuilt again in a classic Italian style (see adjacent photographs). It had splendid reception
rooms, extensive "pleasure grounds" and landscaped parkland. The builders were Thomas and William Cubitt, famous for allegedly "changing the face of London" with the construction of Belgrave Square,
Euston Station and many other buildings.
There is some confusion about later owners and occupiers. It was in the hands of Col. William Hugh Dunn
in 1847 (Kelly), and he was living there until 1908 when the Park was bought by Colonel Walmsley. However, Col Walmsley did not live there, preferring Inglewood Lodge, and in 1928 Hungerford
Park was sold on by the Colonel as part of the Inglewood Estate.
However, other references show that by 1869 (Post Office Directory) the estate was owned by George Shippen Willes, JP from 1854, and Col. Willes owned it by 1894.
Barbara Hope said (interviewed 1992) that it was in the Willes
ownership from 1784 until 1900, when the Willes had to sell, and move to the High House (Charnham House) in Charnham Street.
In 1895 it was occupied by John Walter Morrice.
In 1928 Colonel Walmesley decided to sell the whole of the Inglewood Estate, and it was advertised for sale. The entire estate was sold in 47 lots, and included Inglewood Park (123 acres), Kintbury Farm (87 acres), Hungerford Park (394 acres), Sadlers Farm (266 acres), Totterdown House (64 acres), Anvills Farm (653 acres), Sanham Green Farm (270 acres), Coldharbour and Little Templeton Farms (287 acres), Templeton (166 acres), Inlease Farm (154 acres), Avington Manor Farm (561 acres), and Radley Farm (645 acres) - 4,225 acres in all. There was extensive fishing, many other properties and woodland. The full Sale Particulars run to over 60 pages!
Hungerford Park was sold prior to the auction on 19 Jun 1928; it was bought by the shipping magnate Alfred George Turner. A number of alterations were made,
including the addition of a ballroom. The family, which included four daughters, was famous for giving frequent lavish parties at any excuse. These usually had a specific theme, and ended with
spectacular firework displays which lit up the whole neighbourhood. The most famous was perhaps the "Golden Ball" when the walls were draped in gold fabric, the dining table decorated in gold, and
the guests sat on golden chairs. It is said that for one particular party, a special train was chartered from Paddington to bring all the drinks! Inevitably the Second World War brought quieter
times, and Alfred Turner himself died in 1956.
The estate was then sold to Lord Howard de Walden, in whose family it remains.
The house was unoccupied for a few years after 1956 and became dilapidated, so much so that it is reputed that the ballroom was used as a cattle shelter, and in 1960 it
was demolished. Only the imposing gates and lodges remind us of its former glory.
A new large house is planned to be built shortly.
- Simon de Montfort
Kintbury Through the Ages, Kintbury Volunteer Group, 2004.
- Sale Particulars of 1928 Inglewood Estate
Back to Top