The new Coffee House opened on 28th May 1881. "There is a large Refreshment Bar facing the street, of very bright and attractive appearance, and at the back of this a very
roomy dining-room in which hot dinners are served daily at ninepence and a shilling. Upstairs there is a Ladies Coffee Room nicely furnished, and two good bedrooms. In the rear of the premises there
are five bedrooms for single men, the charge for which is eightpence a night. All sorts of American drinks, tea, coffee, cocoa, lemonade, soda water, &c are sold at the bar: a list of prices
being exhibited in the window. Under the superintendance of the Managing Director Mr T Fidler of Newbury, there is no doubt that the management will be all that can be desired, and it is hoped that
the establishment of the Coffee House will be a great boon to the town and neighbourhood."
- Parish Magazines, esp Mar 1881, Jun 1881.
- High Street Properties - 7 & 8 High Street
- "Red Rose" Coffee House
Back to Top