- Buckeridge family (Thomas, and later Joseph, then William as a vet and shoeing forge)
at 108 High Street, c1830-1895
- Jonathan Bird - at 114 High Street, c1832-c1840 (later Thomas Oakes, then
- Thomas Oakes - at 114 High Street, c1841
- Sarah Oakes
- Cow Lane - blacksmith and farrier.
- Charles Oakes in 114 High Street (1891 Kelly Directory) - with Albert George Oakes
later became Oakes Bros Ltd.
- Edward Wiggins - at 114 High Street, c1843
- Edwin Wiggins
- at 114 High Street, c1847-c1871.
- Joseph Martin, in Robbins Yard, 11 Bridge Street.
- Charles Tanner, upper High
- Joseph Martin - blacksmith, 115 High Street, 1861.
- William Davis - in the 1854 and 1864 Billings Directory he is clearly at the
"Three Horseshoes". Of interest, in the latter he is "Beer retailer & Blacksmith".
- Fred Bates in Hungerford Newtown (1891 Kelly Directory)
- William Davis in Hungerford Newtown (1891 Kelly Directory)
- John Froude in Eddington (1891 Kelly Directory)
- Vic Caswell & Giles, blacksmiths, Forge Cottage, 24 Bridge Street,
c1920 - c1939. At 24 Bridge Street, Caswell's was a finishing blacksmiths, and later became Garage Services (Hungerford) Ltd. The business had been started in the 1890s by Vic's father Harry Caswell,
as smith for Alfred Buckeridge, vets in the High Street. They later moved to Church Street, but these premises were burned out, the they moved to Earle's Stores, High Street. When this was cleared in
1911 for the provision of the new Post Office, they moved to Bridge Street. They made the entrance gates to the Bridge Street premises, and at the War Memorial Recreation Ground. An uncle, Tom
Caswell used to be the smith for John McKerlie, vet in the High Street. Vic Caswell committed suicide in 1956 and the business closed.
- Arthur J Barrett: Gary Waterman contacted the
Virtual Museum (Nov 2013) to add information (along with his mother, Rosemary Waterman) about his grandfather, Arthur J Barrett, who was the blacksmith at 24 Bridge Street after Vic Caswell.
Arthur Barrett had been a blacksmith in Slough, but the forge was demolished because of road straightening. He and his wife Olive wanted to move to the country, and they
bought the Bridge Street forge in 1957 for £2,300. It comprised the shop, house, three other cottages (which were let) and a large garden and grounds. The shop opened exactly one year after Vic
Arthur Barrett ran a mixed business, shoeing many of the racehorses at the stables in Lambourn as well as making and repairing tools and machinery. He was the county and
national blacksmith champion for 2 years running, and one wall of the forge was covered in prizes. Rosemary says he was a poor businessman, often bartering for his work rather than charging a
Surrounded as he was by the river Dun and Town & Manor Fishery water, there was an increasing friction between him and the Town & Manor, especially during Beating
the Bounds. Confrontations with Mr Hawsley (Clerk to the Town and Manor), Dr Hope, and the Constable (1958-59) Philip Spackman were acrimonious, and are recorded in Arthur Barrett's family history.
The Barretts made significant changes to the properties, demolishing two of the cottages, and making internal improvements to the main house.
He retired early, (perhaps in the mid 1960s) and sold the property to Mr Coles(?) for £15,000. Arthur and Olive Barrett moved to Frimley near Camberley, then Brixham,
Lambourn. Hungerford then Newbury.
- 32 High Street
- 87-88 High Street
- 114 High Street
Back to Top