The Reading Mercury on 20 October 1788 included:
"Hungerford. Miss Wheeler respectfully informs her friends that the Ball for her school will be at the Assembly Room
of Wednesday November 12. Tickets 5 shillings to be had at the Bear Inn and at the School." (We are unsure to which school this refers, although there was a "widow Wheeler" at what is now 15 High Street in 1781, and there is another reference to "Mary Wheeler's Boarding School, 1796").
An entry in the Parish magazine November 1902 states under the section of the Church Lads' Brigade:
"In connection with this subject, the Vicar would
like to say that the Red Rose Coffee House is now under the management of Mrs Collins. A few alterations in prices are made , by desire of Lady Pearce, on whom the upkeep of the place, and the
maintenance of the Sergeant-Instructor entirely falls, entailing, it will readily be believed, a heavy outlay.
The old Club Room, having been condemned as "dangerous" has, by Sir William Pearce's order, been pulled down. This has made it necessary for another
room to be found: and the Vicar is glad to say that, by the kindness of Miss Clements and the generosity of Lady Pearce, the old "Assembly Room"
has been taken; and the lads will have a snug clubroom for the winter months. The Vicar proposes, with Lady Pearce's entire approval, to make use of this room for extended work among the lads of the town; Mr Brine and Mr King (Curates) will both co-operate with him in this project; and it is hoped that now something may be done for the improvement and amusement of this hitherto rather neglected portion of our community. Details of the arrangements will be posted later at the Coffee House.
- Red Rose Coffee House
Back to Top