There have been many printers and booksellers in Hungerford.
The cover of a prayer book found in 1998 stated "Bound by Abraham Nobbs, Bookseller & Stationer, Hungerford. A Nobbs 1828". Abraham Nobbs (born 1777, died 1840) ran his bookseller's business in Hungeford prior to Mr Franklin. No definite record of the property has yet been found, but it is may have been at 2 Bridge Street.
William Franklin (printer) is shown on the 1841 census at 2 Bridge Street. The 1847 Kelly Directory lists him as Printer, Bookseller, Stationer, Auctioneer and Registrar of Births Marriages and Deaths, Crown Life and Fire Insurance Agent. After 1864, his widow Mary Franklin continued the business until c1871.
Alfred New: The printer's business at 2 Bridge Street was taken over by 1881 by Alfred Wittern New, recorded in the
census as "employing 1 man, 2 boys and 2 females". By 1903 (Kelly Directory) it was run by Frank New.
Rupert Mead: By July 1911 (Parish Magazine) the business was known as Hungerford Printing Works
, and was run by Rupert Mead.