The most important photographer in Hungerford was Albert Parsons. There is a
separate section devoted to Albert Parsons and his work.
In addition to Albert Parsons, there were several other photographers and
- Ernest Barnard
- Freeman Brothers
- Samuel Hawkes
- Frederick Jessett
- Alfred Lane
- William Mapson
- William Softley Parry
- Others outside Hungerford who took Hungerford
Ernest Barnard published local photographs from his premises at what is now 21
High Street between c1906 and 1918. He bought the single tenement (now 20, 21 and 22 High Street) between the Town Hall and Church Street in c1896 when Killick & Church moved down the
street to 17 High Street. He opened a house furniture shop, and later, c1900, converted the premises by re-fronting into three shops. Miss Annie Barnard ran the stationers shop in 1903
(Kelly Directory), but 1911-1939 the stationers was in the name of Ernest Barnard. Bessie and Minnie Barnard ran the tobacconists, toy shop and stationers from 1939 until they passed it
on to their nephew Douglas Barnard and his wife. It is said that all three Barnards lived in Rossmore, Park Street with another sister! The property was eventually demolished in 1972
before re-development some years later. The site of the stationers is now Rayners Opticians.
Freeman Brothers, at 5 Bridge Street, took over the property c1891, when Kelly
Directory lists them as tobacconists, fishing tackle, fancy dealers, collector of assessed & income taxes. The 1896 Commoners List has Thomas Gray Freeman as owner. The late Mr E.L.
"Jim" Davis said that Freeman's was initially run by Mr. & Mrs. Freeman. They specialised producing books of local views - his lithographic series in 1903 & his photographic
series in 1910. Later business run by their two daughters, Miss Emily & Miss Edith. Both fished, tied own flies & were experts on wild flowers. Before their retirement (c1939),
they sublet 5 Bridge Street as the Red Stores.(original source: Mills sisters: Elsie and Minnie, 9 Croft Villa). Ray and Jan Baigent ran the Children's Shop and later Options (florists),
until it closed in March 2008. The shop is currently (2009) unused.
Note - the advertisement on the right (showing 8 & 9 Bridge Street) does not match modern house numbering.
^ top ^
Samuel Hawkes, was a photographer, hairdresser and tobacconist in 3 & 4 High Street
(now the Tutti Pole Tea Shop) between c1881 and c1920. He was also agent for Sutton & Co., carriers.
See Samuel Hawkes Photo Gallery of Portraits.
of Eddington published photographs for a short period between c1907-1908.
is recorded in the census of 1871 as "hairdresser and photographer". He was aged 34 years, and living at 4 Bridge Street. Nothing further is yet known of this very early Hungerford photographer.
See Alfred Lane Photo Gallery.
The business was taken over by William Softley Parry in 1877.
^ top ^
William Mapson From 1891 Kelly Directory has William Mapson as watchmaker. It is likely that this was at 30 High Street (having taken over the business from James
Woodham), as he was certainly owner and occupant in the Commoner's List of 1896. He also published photographs (both here and at Pewsey) between c1898-1917.
William Mapson continued the business until 1916-17 when 30 High Street was taken over by Albert Parsons the photographer, apparently in a swap of properties
arranged with William Mapson and Ernest Clements.
See William Mapson Photo Gallery.
William Softley Parry
was a toy dealer and photographer in 4 Bridge Street from 1877, when he took over the business of Alfred Lane. There is a series of eight splendid Cartes de Visite c.1877 taken by William Parry showing various views of the town. By 1903 the premises were occupied by Mr A. New, a cycle maker.