Great festivities were arranged in the town on 22nd June 1897 to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee, and they were enjoyed to the
full during a day of glorious 'Queen's' weather. The following is from a contemporary report of the day (Parish Magazine, July 1897):
"The day was ushered in by a joyful peel on the church bells from 6-7am. At seven o'clock the Hungerford detachment of
the Royal Berkshire Volunteers fired a feu de joie from the balcony of the Town Hall. The band played "God Save the Queen" and those present gave three hearty cheers for Her Majesty.
At ten o'clock the Hungerford Band played in the market place. At half past ten a procession was formed consisting of the Band, the Volunteers, the Constable
and Feoffees, the Fire Brigade, the Foresters, the Oddfellows, the Church Lads' Brigade and the National School children, and was marshalled by Mr G Cottrell, to the church for the
special service. It lasted half an hour. The musical portion of the service was admirably rendered by the combined choirs of St Lawrence's and St Saviour's, Mr Wren playing the organ with
his usual skill and taste. The church was densely crowded, every available space being occupied, numbers standing in the porch and church yard, unable to get in.
After the service the procession was reformed and proceeded to the market place, where, as the clock struck twelve, the
assembled inhabitants joined in heartily saying "God Save the Queen".
At three o'clock, all the children in the parish under sixteen and the old people over sixty years of
age, and many besides had a capital meat tea. Four long rows of tables, eighteen in number, were arranged under the shade of the avenue of trees in the Mall, and it is computed that about
1000 adults and children sat down to tea.