1086 - Domesday Manors
The map shows the local manors of Lewartone (Leverton), Eddevatone (Eddington), Daneford
(Denford), Avintone (Avington), Ingleflot (Hungerford Engleford), Standene (Standen), Standone (North Standen) and Cerletone (Hopgrass and Charlton).
- Domesday Manors around Hungerford
c1200 - Savernake Forest at its Maximum
Regular "perambulations of the forest" were carried out to check the
boundaries. This map shows Savernake Forest at its most extensive, c1200, stretching well to the east of Hungerford. The "King's Way" is clearly shown between Hungerford and
(From "Savernake Forest", P C Walwin, 1976)
Hungerford - Medieval Features
This plan shows the planned medieval town along High Street and Bridge Street, with
the back lanes (now Prospect Road and Fairview Road). The site of the earlier village clustered around the church is shown stippled.
- Manorial History
- Simon de Montfort
- John of Gaunt
(From "Historic Towns in Berkshire: an archaeological appraisal". Grenville G. Astill,
1610 John Speed
John Speed (1552-1629) published his atlas "The Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine" in 1610/11. It contained the first ever set of individual county maps of England and Wales. His Berkshire map is shown here.
- Zoomable digital reproduction of a 1611/12 proof
of Speed's atlas held at Cambridge University Library
In 1570 Christopher Saxton (c1543-c1612) began a survey of the whole of England and Wales on the
commission of Lord Burghley. This was a significant undertaking at
the time, and yet by 1574 the first plates had been engraved and in 1578 the survey was complete. The maps produced set the standard for cartographers to follow, and
base their own maps on, for hundreds of years to follow. In the early 1600s Campden's 'Brittania' was published with individual county maps. William Hole and
William Kip re-engraved Saxton's maps at a reduced size for this edition and on most of these maps Saxton is given credit in the title. The map shown here is dated 1636, about 25
years after Saxton's death.
1670 Ogilby - London-Bath Road (showing Thatcham to Marlborough section)
1716 Ogilby - Oxford-Salisbury Road
1722 - Robert Morden (Berkshire)
Robert Morden (c1650-1703) was among the first successful commercial map makers.
Between about 1675 and his death in 1703, he was based under the sign of the Atlas at premises in Cornhill and New Cheapside, London. His cartographical output was large and varied.
His best known maps are those of South Wales, North Wales and the English Counties first published in a new edition of Camden's "Britannia" in 1695, and subsequently reissued in 1722, 1753 and 1772. These maps were based on new information from gentlemen of each county, and were newly engraved. Each had a decorated cartouche, and showed numerous place names. Morden also produced in 1701 a series of smaller county maps often known as Miniature Mordens.
c1750 - The Old & Great Market Road from Hungerford to Newbury (Western part)
This simple hand-drawn
sketch shows a schematic depiction of Hungerford (with buildings along High Street, Charnham Street and Church Street), Denford, Avington and Kintbury. Most importantly it shows "The old
& Great Market Road from Hungerford to Newbury". It is thought to date from c1750. Only the western half is shown here.
1750 - Charnham Street
1756 Emanuel Bowen
Emanuel Bowen (1714-1767) had the high distinction to be named Royal Mapmaker to both to
King George II of England and Louis XV of France. Based in London from 1714 onwards, Bowen was highly regarded for producing some of the largest, most detailed, most accurate
and most attractive maps of his era. Shown here is his Berkshire map, dated 1756.
1761 - John Rocque
John Rocque (c1709-1762) is now mainly remembered for his map of London. He began work on
this in 1737 and it was published in 24 printed sheets in 1747. It was by far the most detailed map of London published up to that time, and remains an important historical
resource. The map of London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751.
A fire in 1750 destroyed his premises and stock, but by
1753 he was employing ten draughtsmen, and The Small British Atlas: Being a New set of Maps of all the Counties of England and Wales appeared. There was a second edition in 1762.
Shown here is part of his edition of Berkshire dated 1761.
1768 - John Willis
1792 Robertson Road from London to Bath - Plate 7
1794 - William Francis
The map of Hungerford by William Francis, 1794, is one of the great treasures of the town.
In the mid 20th century it was in the hands of Harry Giles, local carrier, who passed it to Dr & Mrs Kennedy. In the 1970s they passed it to the Town and Manor.
It shows great
detail about the town at the time.
Part only is currently shown here.
1819 - Enclosure Award Map
Other Miscellaneous maps and plans:
- Great Road from London to Bath and Bristol, c1800
- Hopgrass Marsh and Honey Furlong, c1822
- Properties attracting Commoners' Rights in Town & Manor of Hungerford
- 1961 OS Hungerford area